Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reopen in Dallas yet?

1. Back To Top    #1

Reopen in Dallas yet?

Hey everyone! Long time no post! Pool has been closed and I have been fighting the gun rights fight and that is all I will say so I don't step on any toes. Anyway, today got pretty warm here in Big D. Anyone out there reopen yet? I am afraid to look under the cover for fear of seeing a swamp.

Thanks,
    Robert
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reopen in Dallas yet?

I don't close. In my experience, there is no reason to. In winter months I only run my pump for 4 hours a day, so there would be very little cost savings, and any savings would likely be blown during opening.

<- Dallas
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I wasn't going to but my intention was to have it hard plumbed during the down time but even that went awry.
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

Dead East of you and I don't close------just run pump overnight when the temps drop-------like last weekend!

With a name like Glock, I'm pretty sure I know which side you're on!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't close either. We usually entertain during the holidays and host big Super Bowl party and want the pool to look sparkling. In addition, I'm a big believer in keeping the water balanced year-round to maximize the life of the equipment and plaster. Like several others stated, I just run the pump when temps get below freezing or I need to vacuum.

Swim season for me has started in mid-March the past two years but that seems to be in jeopardy this year (should note that I tolerate water temps as low as 65F). Water temps are 7 degrees colder than this time last year. We would need several more days like yesterday to make up for that, but forecast calls for seasonal temps in the 60's for the next week.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Crazy weather... 88 yesterday and 44 today. The wind last night was incredible. Still blowing today, but not like last night!

It won't be long until we are complaining about our water being too warm.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Just south of Dallas and I am still open as well. I have a connected Hot Tub and use it in the winter months. Sometimes we get crazy enough to jump into the 50-55 degree pool to cool off from the hot tub, them jump back to the hot tub and feel the needles. Of course we are drinking a little and I am originally from Minnesota where we do polar jumps into 30 degree water just to say we did it. I am looking forward to more days like yesterday...
    20K gallon IG Gunite-pebble w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, unknown pool/spa/waterfall pump, unknown blower blower, LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, 2004, Dallas TX

8. Back To Top    #8

I opened and guess what? It's blue and clear and still smells like bleach!! Yay!!!!! lol I have some sand on the bottom from the few sandstorms we had come through but other than that, I have 0 complaints! Filling it up now to turn on the pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

One year ago today I opened the 2012 swim season. OTOH, the first swim of 2013 will have to wait a bit. Water temp is 61F...needs to rise 4 more degrees before I get in. Maybe next weekend...we'll see.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh I won't be getting in fake awhile. Lol. Just getting it in shape. Put on the solar cover too.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I don't close. In my experience, there is no reason to. In winter months I only run my pump for 4 hours a day, so there would be very little cost savings, and any savings would likely be blown during opening.

<- Dallas
    Thats what I do over in the Fort Worth area with great success.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

12. Back To Top    #12

Its full now. Test results are good.

FC 5PPM
    PH 7.6
    TA 140
    CH 170
    CYA 30-35

I added bleach and will be adding cya shortly. Overall, it was a successful reopen. I will not close it again though. The only good that came of it was it kept the leaves and sand out of the pool for the most part. I don't have a reliable vacuum.