Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA Test

1. Back To Top    #1

TA Test

Our PB finished construction last week and is in the process of acid start up. I decided to run the initial test on my pool water and the TA test has me a bit perplexed. After adding the two drops of R-0007 and five drops of R-0008 the solution turns pink/red and not green.

Does this mean I have no TA or is the test not valid with an extremely low PH?

Thanks,
    Shannon
    15.7K, IG Sunstone Pearl, 2 - Skimmers, 6-Returns, 2HP Jandy Stealth Pump, 580 SF Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Polaris 280, Jandy Aqualink PDA, Del Ozone EC-2, 10' Diameter Sunken Swim Up Bar With Palapa (built in Kegerator set at 27o), 2 - Jandy LED Lights, Weeping wall with 5 returns, Bubbler in Tanning Ledge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA Test

What's the FC level? pH level?

The R-007 is a chlorine neutralizer. If you have really high FC it might skew things. I do know it often causes it to go from green-pink to blue-yellow.

The other possibility is static electricity buildup on the R-008 bottle tip. Wipe it with a damp paper towel before testing.

A final thought: a while back there were a few posts about defective R-008 reagent. How long ago did you buy the kit?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The water being tested has no chlorine in it at all, so I din't even test that. The only thing added to the water so far has been 6 gallons of MA for the acid start up. Chlorine starts today.
    15.7K, IG Sunstone Pearl, 2 - Skimmers, 6-Returns, 2HP Jandy Stealth Pump, 580 SF Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Polaris 280, Jandy Aqualink PDA, Del Ozone EC-2, 10' Diameter Sunken Swim Up Bar With Palapa (built in Kegerator set at 27o), 2 - Jandy LED Lights, Weeping wall with 5 returns, Bubbler in Tanning Ledge

4. Back To Top    #4

I just received the kit a week or two ago. The PH is well below 6.8 I do not have a PH titration kit, so I can not tell you exactly how low.

5. Back To Top    #5

Try testing some tap water, that should be above zero. If that works, I would say your pool TA is really low.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

From the Extended Test Kit Directions:
    If the sample turns red, pink, or yellow, you are done, your TA is zero, and your PH is very very low.
    So, your TA is zero, and your PH is really really low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Guys. That's what I thought, but wanted to verify.

8. Back To Top    #8

Six gallons of 31.45 % acid will lower the TA by 190 ppm. So, it makes sense that the TA test goes straight to red, which indicates that the TA is zero, or lower.

The builder is doing an acid startup. They should rebalance the water at the correct time. They should be keeping you informed about what is happening and what to expect.

To get an idea of how low the TA is, test the fill water and subtract 190 ppm.

9. Back To Top    #9

The pool builder, while being one of the best in the area has no idea about proper water balance... I asked yesterday, what level of TA, CYA etc they were going to bring the pool up to and his response was...I don't know what the levels are, we just use these bottles of stuff in the dosages recommended by the manufacturer.

I asked him to not add anything else, and that I would take over from here! My plan is to run a complete test on Wednsday and start brining in it to the BBB recommended levels.

10. Back To Top    #10

My plan is to bring the CYA up to chlorine pool levels and then use pucks for the remainder of the month until I can fire up the SWG. Then, I will add any remaining CYA needed.

Sound right?

11. Back To Top    #11

Oh... I almost forgot to mention this tidbit. I asked him what he used to shock the pool and he responded that it was a type of chlorine that was undetectable by any tests

FC 12 CC 0

12. Back To Top    #12

You want to add both chlorine and CYA slowly and gently during the first three weeks of a fresh plaster startup. Trichlor tablets are ideal for that purpose.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You want to add both chlorine and CYA slowly and gently during the first three weeks of a fresh plaster startup. Trichlor tablets are ideal for that purpose.
    So, just add the trichlor tablets to the skimmer and no extra CYA?

Any idea how I can figure out how many tabs to add? Maybe one in each (2) skimmer? Should I keep my pump running 24/7 during this time?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by CivengPE
    I just received the kit a week or two ago.
    What kit are you using for testing?

Quote Originally Posted by CivengPE
    My plan is to bring the CYA up to chlorine pool levels and then use pucks for the remainder of the month until I can fire up the SWG. Then, I will add any remaining CYA needed.
    Sounds like a good plan. My only comment is to test the CYA while going through this process to make sure CYA does not get too high. Trichlor pucks will cause the CYA to increase, sometimes faster than you think. It is much easier to add CYA than it is to lower it if it gets too high. Use the pool calculator to help determine the dosage, but still test periodically.

Finally, put the trichlor tabs in an in-line chlorinator (if you have one). If not, place them in a floating chlorinator. Do not place the pucks in the skimmer.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

15. Back To Top    #15

I do not have an inline chlorination, so I will use the floating one. Do I just fill it up with the tablets or is there some method to determine how many to put in it?

I have the TF100 test kit.

Sorry for all of the dumb questions. This is our first pool.

16. Back To Top    #16

The more tablets, the more chlorine that gets added per time. How much you need depends on your chlorine demand. Figure you'll need at least 2 tablets in the feeder, but you might need 3 or 4. It depends on how much sun their is on the pool and on the pool temperature (especially if there is no sun on the pool) which determines how fast chlorine is getting used up. Why don't you start with a higher number such as 4 pucks and then measure and see how things go -- if the chlorine level is rising, take out a puck, etc.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    The more tablets, the more chlorine that gets added per time. How much you need depends on your chlorine demand. Figure you'll need at least 2 tablets in the feeder, but you might need 3 or 4. It depends on how much sun their is on the pool and on the pool temperature (especially if there is no sun on the pool) which determines how fast chlorine is getting used up. Why don't you start with a higher number such as 4 pucks and then measure and see how things go -- if the chlorine level is rising, take out a puck, etc.
    Will do. Thanks everyone for the advise!