Barbeque Island Construction

The best advice I can offer in the meantime is, plan your layout intelligently and think steel studs and Hardie Backer Board construction.

Separate compartments for each component and an isolated compartment for propane if that is your choice of gas. Most important, vents high and low in each compartment regardless of the gas choice.

Visit my web site for a lot of useful information.

Good information. Thanks.

If I get the go ahead, I'll be shooting for a dual purpose (gas and charcoal) island with a good bit of counter space. It'll be propane. Exact size and location haven't been determined yet. Have to get through this pool build first.

John

DrDave,

Glad you could join us over here at TFP. I have been visiting the BBQG Forum for quite some time and appreciate your dedication and advice to the construction of DIY BBQ Islands. I was sad to see the BBQG Forum go down, but I have noticed that many people over here have completed their backyard oasis with a BBQ Island so it might be a good fit. I am constructing my deck as we speak and then plan to tackle my BBQ next summer. Hopefully I'll still be able to find the quality advice that you and others at BBQG Forum have provided over the years when it come time for me to build.

riles

Boy Dave...I feel like a real tool now. I had no idea you had already found us when I emailed you. I guess I should look around a bit more.

At any rate, welcome aboard and I'm sure everyone will quickly realize the quality and value of your advice.

Kevin

I have been here but have not seen much activity.

I am really dissapointed in the BBQG Forum after 9 years of dedicated service to them and the let down of the followers who depended on the advice many of us provided.

I was led to believe that they were down for only a few days while re-doing the website. It appears as though they either don't know what they are doing or are not admitting to the removal of not only the Forum but my exclusive link that I enjoyed for 9 years.

Oh well, I am going to email the CEO as a final attempt to get some real answers and if he jacks me around my days of defending and promoting them will be gone forever. They made hundreds of thousands of dollars off my endorsements. I invested up to 30 hours a week on that Forum helping people. :hammer:

Enough said, I had to get that off my chest.

I am having trouble figuring out which email was yours. I do get a lot, even now.

Since you have you own site promoting your plans and many people from BBQG know you, you would be the best to help steer people to this site. It will take a while to make this place as good as the old site but everyone starts someplace.

Do you have any of the links to the photos of some of the other peoples builds?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunatley, no. I could have copied links but I was finding a lot of them gone when trying to access them from old posts. Since that appeared to be an unreliable effort, I did not do it. :hammer:

I do, however, have an extensive library of what I called the "Best Shots" and if memory serves me to find the right shot, could post some from time to time.

If this site limits the number and size of photos, then I would quickly run out of room. I have several Gigabytes of various builds and methods. This includes some of the really great ones. :wink:

Hi Dave,

I'm thinking of building an island. My local Home Depot has 3 sizes of metal studs: 1 5/8, 2 1/2, and 3-and-something (I forget if it's 3 1/2 or ??). Anyway, what size studs/tracks should I use and why? I've never worked with them before, but pretty much dismissed the 1 5/8 as being too small. Will the 2 1/2" be OK, or should I go bigger?

Thanks!
Gene

DrDave said:
I use 2 1/2" studs. They are the best size to work with and are actually stronger than the larger ones.

I used some of both the 2 1/2 and larger size, partly for the fun of it, and partly for simplifying a certain design feature.

FWIW, the "smaller" are not "stronger" than the larger. It all depends on the gauge you find.

My comment on strength was intended to be understood as comparing the same guage. Sorry for not making that clear. The compression strength of the larger sizes is reduced because the cross section is larger for the same wall thickness. Most places only offer one guage to choose from.

I have engineering data from compression tests that may be easily found by Googleing for it.

DrDave said:
My comment on strength was intended to be understood as comparing the same guage. Sorry for not making that clear. The compression strength of the larger sizes is reduced because the cross section is larger for the same wall thickness. Most places only offer one guage to choose from.

I have engineering data from compression tests that may be easily found by Googleing for it.

Both my local Lowes and Local Home Depot had more than one gauge available, and in different sizes, therefore, it would be wise for a prospective buyer to at least be on the look out for it as a data point in the decision making process.

We bought a grill island and DCS drop in grill from our local BBQ Galore (now out of business) about 9 years ago. We are currently putting in a pool with an arbor to go over the grill island. Gas line already in place. We needed to move the island a bit to center it under the arbor. In moving the island, we discovered the ¼ fiberboard that was used had totally deteriorated and fell from the metal studs. The metal stud base was also extremely rusted out in places. So, after consideration to repair or replace, we opted to replace the island with a new one. We used the old one kind of as template, tho we went with a strait L shape.

We are using 25 gauge 2x4 metal studs, ½ inch Hardie backer. We plan to stucco or similar finish (this is where I need help) and tile travertine top. Our old island had travertine and it worked very well, even without sealing.

Getting started

A little further

Frame done

Arbor done and island placed in spot. Some siding done

Hopefully, we will be ready to add the exterior finish this week. The old island has a splatter/drag 1 coat stucco look with out lathe. This finish is fine with me but I do not know what material to use to apply it or how to apply it. I would like to do an easy to apply finish and stay away from renting/using a hopper gun. Guidance and advice appreciated.

Laura

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.