SWG Newb

Flip you have some work to do. The version you have is the same as mine. You will need to replace your main board in the main electronics unit to use the iaqualink from your phone or tablet. It is about 600-700 or more for the upgrade. It may have come down a little but I doubt it. I installed a autelis controller so I could use my table and ipad instead of the pda when I am doing testing and adjusting the pool settings. If I am in the water or going to be in the water I use my pda. I would just stick w/ the pda. I am a tech nerd so I wanted the added ability. Nice looking pool.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The AutoPilot is compatible to communicate with the Electronic Control System. However, there is a fair amount of automation, such as the temperature compensation feature which changes the output of the unit, based on water temperature changes (which also affect the chlorine demand of your pool), and the salt dosage calculations, both of which are disabled when connected to communicate through the controller. Therefore, while we can communicate, we don't recommend it.
As Christian said, PSW is carrying our AutoPilot line of products, as is Josh at Saltpoolguys.com.

Our websites were hacked but are coming back on line, and protected to prevent any other hacking issues. Please do not associate that with any issues with our products. Should you have any questions about or products, feel free to ask away.

I filled out a "contact us" thingy on his site asking if it's compatible with the Jandy Aqualink and PDA. I seriously doubt it, but who knows... there might be adapter cables out there or something. I really don't care if I can monitor the levels from my Jandy PDA in the house. I can go out back and just look at the unit.

The reviews for the AutoPilot are quite impressive for it, on Josh's site. And, he's in Louisiana. That's mucho closer to me in H-town. Heck, we go over there to gamble from time to time. LOL!

We'll see... Thanks linen!

Thanks for the e-mail. Just replied back with answers to your questions.

Thanks again,
Josh

So, here's what I wound up ordering:

Jandy JEP2.0 ePump from PoolSupplyWorld - Delivery date this Friday
AutoPilot Digital Complete System Package SC-42 / SC-48 Cell from SaltPoolGuys - Delivery date tomorrow

I will post pictures of how things go (hopefully). Thanks to all that helped so far!

Just got my SWCG from UPS. That was extremely fast, but Josh is only a state away. :)

2013-03-13_14-54-50_818_zps9e0520a3.jpg

As it showed up.

2013-03-13_15-02-00_746_zpsd944b213.jpg

Big box.

2013-03-13_15-06-46_840_zpsaef61743.jpg

Little box.

More to follow...

Thanks guys! I'm sure I will. And thanks Josh for making that a priority. :)

So, on to my first question about this big feat... How do I plumb this thing in? My current chlorinator (feeder) sits between too fittings, and there is no extra pipe for play. If I cut it, I'll risk messing with one of my actuators for the spa. I really don't want to do that.

My question is, can I install this where the pipe exits the canister filter? There's a heater there, but I never run it unless the spa is on. I know that this thing will produce more salt when the spa is on if I set it up this way, but I can just shut it off at the panel, right?

I know this sounds shoddy, but it really is tight where that chlorine tab feeder is. The original installers left no wiggle room at all, and it's a bit too short from the exit from the actuator, to the actual return PVC pipe that goes in the ground. Not enough room...

Thoughts? Let me go take some pictures, to show you what I mean, too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay guys, here's the pics:

2013-03-13_20-15-59_212_zps2848868e.jpg

You can see the big actuator that auto switches from pool to spa mode to the left. The PVC "T" that says POOL and SPRA, is actually on the T fitting. To the right of the chlorine feeder, you can see the other T fitting that says "URN" on it (my son is blocking it with his knee... that's the return. Either way... As you can see... There's no room to cut and put this thing there.

Now, the other option:

2013-03-13_20-16-32_751_zpscf1cc595.jpg

This is directly from the heater manifold, that is fed directly from the filter (CV460). Again, if I put it here I would have to turn the unit off every time I ran the spa. I'm sure it'll get old, but I'm in too deep now to quit. :cheers:

So, what do you y'all think?

Jason, I'm not sure I follow. The AutoPilot's manifold system is not as simple as most I've seen. It's shaped like a big horseshoe, kind-of.

Bama Ramber, okay... I'm going to break out my better camera this morning and get some better shots for you all. It's hard to back up and take shots there because there's a fence right to my back, there.

Give me about an hour... Sun's still rising.

Oh, okay... Should have seen that in your sig. Apologies..

It has to be mounted horizontally per the instruction manual... something about toxic gases have to be released with that mounting position, or something.

Posting some pics in a second... their uploading.

They didn't do you any favors with that plumbing did they? :scratch: Me and the guy that installed our plumbing had a long discussion about jamming fittings right against each other.

Neither here nor there. I'd put a 90º ell right below the "T" labeled "Pool Return" and turn it straight away from the filter and then install the swg manifold there and then turn it down and back to the return pipe.

I looked it up, it can be mounted on a vertical pipe as long as the water flow is downwards. The instructions in the manual are referring to a horizontal pipe install, where the manifold loop must go up from the horizontal pipe. But mounting on a vertical pipe with water flow downwards and the manifold loop coming out sideways is also allowed. See Poolsean's post here (and he should know). There are some mild disadvantages, as mentioned here, but it is allowed.

Bama Rambler said:
They didn't do you any favors with that plumbing did they? :scratch: Me and the guy that installed our plumbing had a long discussion about jamming fittings right against each other.

Neither here nor there. I'd put a 90º ell right below the "T" labeled "Pool Return" and turn it straight away from the filter and then install the swg manifold there and then turn it down and back to the return pipe.

No sir... They really didn't. :hammer:

I like your idea, but that would cause me to get a new check valve (not that it's needed... I just like it there), and a new T for the actuator you see on the left (diverting spa to pool via automation). That's exactly what I was hoping to avoid, tbh. :(

JasonLion said:
I looked it up, it can be mounted on a vertical pipe as long as the water flow is downwards. The instructions in the manual are referring to a horizontal pipe install, where the manifold loop must go up from the horizontal pipe. But mounting on a vertical pipe with water flow downwards and the manifold loop coming out sideways is also allowed. See Poolsean's post here (and he should know). There are some mild disadvantages, as mentioned here, but it is allowed.

This is news! I read the disadvantage, and it seems to only be the gases "thing" via backflow. I'm sure there's a backflow restrictor somewhere between the heater and the filter, so I'm not really that concerned about that. I guess I could always add one later, but I digress... I'm going to measure and see if I have enough room to put it there. Looks like I need 10-11" to slip it on there. I hope that concrete pad doesn't get in the way... or the drain to the cartridge filter... Ugh...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.