Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Missing Borates?

1. Back To Top    #1

Missing Borates?

The last time did a full test of chemicals was August. I do chlorine and ph at least once a week and daily during swim season.

At last check CYA was 40-50 range. Today 60ish. I use a stennar so no new cya added but I attribute the change to the mysterious vanishing dot. I'm never confident in my cya test results. I'll assume it has always been about 55.....?

TA dropped from 60-70 range to 40.

Biggest surprise. Borates dropped from 50 to 15? No large water dilution or the cya woud drop?

Is the cold (55degrees) water effecting readings? Should I add team mule now or wait for warmer water?
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Missing Borates?

I don't know of any specific problems with the borate test at low water temperatures, but it is plausible that there might be some. I would wait for warmer weather and then do the test again.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Borates are now at 30 with 82 degree water.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

4. Back To Top    #4

So there is indeed a temperature related issue with the borate test. Good to know.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School