Can't open Leaf canister.

2 weeks ago, I changed the "O" Ring on my Hayward Leaf Canister. The new "O" ring was really hard to put in (it seemed just a very tiny bit oversized - 1/10th oversized), but I lubed it up really good and fit it in.

I tried opening it up yesterday to clean it and it wouldn't open/unscrew. I tried it on and off for 3 hours and nothing. I took it out to dry today, and tried again... to no avail. I even broke the handle off of it in my efforts.

Does anybody have any tips on how to get the friggn' top to unscrew or am I S.O.L. and should just go buy a new one?

Thank you in advance.

Attached is the same type of canister that I have.

Attachments

• LC.jpeg
    LC.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 144
Re: Can't unscrew/open Leaf canister.

Sorry, but I explained it wrong. :oops:

I can get the top part off (the screw top - #1 on the below image), but I can't *PULL* the "LID" off (#2 on the below image).

I was thinking of soaking the thing in boiling water in a bucket and then trying to pull the top part off or use an x-acto knife to try and cut into the "O" ring.

Just wondering if anyone here has experienced anything like this and how they solved it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Leaf Canisters.jpg
    Leaf Canisters.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 127
Freeze it? Really? Because cold "contracts"?

I got the O-Ring in an "O-Ring Kit" that I bought when I got a new pool pump a few months back. It came with a whole bunch of O-Rings.
I lubed it with a tube of lube that I picked up at Leslie's pools here in AZ.

Bama Rambler said:
You can try heating it, but it may be better to freeze it.
What did you use to lube it?
Where did you get the o-ring?

Mine gets stuck when the water is cold. I will usually put the threads on my shoe and use a little leverage to push down on the #2 outlet and the end of the canister. Be careful to not push too hard and crack the canister. When the canister is warmer, it is not as difficult to remove so you might try a heat gun or hair dryer.

Maybe that's what it is. It's been unusually cold here lately and the water has been freezing. I'll try the hair dryer idea and if that doesn't work, I'll toss the thing in the freezer and try that.

Thanks.

mas985 said:
Mine gets stuck when the water is cold. I will usually put the threads on my shoe and use a little leverage to push down on the #2 outlet and the end of the canister. Be careful to not push too hard and crack the canister. When the canister is warmer, it is not as difficult to remove so you might try a heat gun or hair dryer.

Try to heat the canister but not the lid so there is a temperature difference and the canister expands relative to the lid. Also, it goes without saying but don't get too close and melt the plastic.

I have this same leaf canister, but haven't run into the problems you are having. It is a little bit of work to remove the lid due to the o-ring (which I keep lubed with silicone grease). I remove the screw on retainer (#1) and then gently rock the lid back and forth by grabbing onto exit "pipe" while holding the rest of the unit in my arm. It is much harder to try to pull the lid without rocking it back and forth as described. As for the handle breaking off, I did that once too (well only one side, but still). I repaired this using some slow curing cyanoacrylate glue (super glue). Epoxy should work equally well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this (been traveling).

Thank you everyone for all of your help.

It turns out that my "O" Ring was not the right size and was A LOT thicker than what it's suppose to be. I got it in a pack of "O" rings that I bought when I got a new pump. I assumed it was for the leaf canister since it looked to be about the right size but I was wrong. Anyways, I had to stick an X-acto knife between the groove and cut all around to pick away at the oversized "O" ring. After continuous cutting, I finally got the top off and went to get a new "O" ring. Comparing the one I used and the new one, it was considerably thicker and just a touch longer. Either way, I probably would have thrown the entire thing out and bought a new one if it hadn't been for this board and your guys help at trying different things.

Thank you all so much!
LM

Reactions: Aznewmom
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.