Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: battery acid?

1. Back To Top    #1

battery acid?

I took a sample of water to Leslie's Pool Supply today and the owner of the store told me that the water is horribly acidic. She is usually the one to push products on people to the point of almost aggrivation, and told me today that buying anything for this water is a waste. She recommended the pool be drained and refilled for a fresh start. Now since I'm not the most pool savy person in the world, I am coming to you "The People of Perfect Water" to ask for help. I can get you test strip readings if you want but was told the acid level will give false readings on those? Thank you in advance for your help.
    Still holding on to the grass so I wont fall off the planet!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: battery acid?

1. She is incorrect. The pH can be adjusted....no need to drain

2. What do your test strips say?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

First, you need a good test kit. We recommend either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 kit (http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/). For now, what were the results from the pool store?
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

If all that is wrong is the PH, then it is very easy to fix. If there are other things happening at the same time, like a very high CYA levels, then water replacement might be in order.

Very low PH will damage your pool, more so the longer the PH stays low. I recommend dealing with this as quickly as practical.

As the others mentioned, everything starts with water test results. Getting a top quality kit of your own is highly recommended. In the mean time post any test results you have (and tell us where they are from).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

from the aqua check 7 by hach i got these numbers.
    total hardness=250ppm
    total cl=3ppm
    total bromine=5
    free cl=3ppm
    ph=less than 6.2
    total alkalinity=0ppm
    cyanuric acid=0ppm

from the hth 3-way test kit.
    cl=1ppm
    br=2
    ph=below chart

6. Back To Top    #6

What are you using to chlorinate your pool? If you are using tabs, there is no way your CYA (cyanuric acid) is zero. The other possibility is granular chlorine, which either adds calcium or CYA. Also, I believe if your alkalinity is truly zero, that means your pH is about 2.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

7. Back To Top    #7

We have one of those tall cylinders that you stack the cl pucks into and adjust the water flow thru it manually. I checked the puck holder and it is empty. For how long I am not sure.

8. Back To Top    #8

It couldn't have been empty for too long if cl is showing up in the test. (I'm correct about this, right?) Since you are using pucks, there is no way the CYA is zero. (This is also correct, right?) On a side note, this may explain why the pH is so low. The pucks are very acidic, and so lower pH.
    John

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN
    It couldn't have been empty for too long if cl is showing up in the test. (I'm correct about this, right?) Since you are using pucks, there is no way the CYA is zero. (This is also correct, right?) On a side note, this may explain why the pH is so low. The pucks are very acidic, and so lower pH.
    Yes all the way around.

Before anything is done to that pool, a proper test kit is needed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd add 10 lbs of baking soda and then check the pH again.
    I wouldn't wait on a new test kit to do that.
    I do recommend getting a TF-100 and it'll get to you fast but if you really have zero TA you need to get it up now. Even if the test you have is wrong and you overshoot the TA you can always bring it back down. Adjusting it won't cost a lot either, so if you have to drain after you add the baking soda you won't have wasted much money.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks again guys!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I'd add 10 lbs of baking soda and then check the pH again.
    I wouldn't wait on a new test kit to do that.
    I do recommend getting a TF-100 and it'll get to you fast but if you really have zero TA you need to get it up now. Even if the test you have is wrong and you overshoot the TA you can always bring it back down. Adjusting it won't cost a lot either, so if you have to drain after you add the baking soda you won't have wasted much money.
    Bama - why just baking soda and not also some Washing Soda? Does the pH come up very quickly with the added TA when you go from 0 to something rational? Or is it mainly to get TA close before adjusting the pH since pH will drift less once there is a reasonable TA level.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Washing soda would have worked, but baking soda is usually easier to find and with baking soda and then borax you have more control over each parameter. Also if you overshoot the TA a little it doesn't hurt anything but if you overshoot the pH you start seesawing and we don't want that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by E-ROC
    from the aqua check 7 by hach i got these numbers.
    total hardness=250ppm
    total cl=3ppm
    total bromine=5
    free cl=3ppm
    ph=less than 6.2
    total alkalinity=0ppm
    cyanuric acid=0ppm

from the hth 3-way test kit.
    cl=1ppm
    br=2
    ph=below chart
    These guys are the experts, not me. But is it possible to have 3ppm chlorine and 5ppm bromine?
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

15. Back To Top    #15

The bromine and chlorine test is the same, there is just a scale for each on the same test. Since this is a chlorine pool you can just disregard the bromine reading.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Will be very interested when you get some more test results. Can't wait to see what they want you to throw away.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem