Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2007
Baton Rouge, La.
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well , finally took out the "Trouble Free Test Kit" after the pool went green 4 days ago!! Lots of rain, winter and being a little lazy allowed it to go green. At this point I clean the walls, vac clean filter and then put about 6-8 gallons of bleach in and run the pump for a few days. That did not work this time! Got the green from deep green down to a light green.
So, my numbers are:
TC-50
pH-8.2 Plus
T/A-50
CH-30
CYA-40
Temp 68
Fiberglass 8900gal

I've used the pool Calculator and to get things back into check does it matter what order I do it?
Thanks
Harry

Re: Water way off

Ignore the pH until the shock process is complete. In fact, ignore everything except FC & CC for now. Your CYA reading will not change significantly even if you do lose some water cleaning the filter.

Are you sure the FC level is 50? or 50 drops? If it really is 50, it's too high - you will lose a significant percentage to the sun, and the higher the FC, the higher the loss. pool-school/shocking_your_pool will tell you what to do and has a link to find your target shock level.

It is important to figure out how that TC level breaks down into FC and CC. Did you do the more complex FAS-DPD chlorine test (uses R-0870 and R-0871)? The correct next step very much depends on the FC level.

The PH result is probably invalid because of the high FC level (assuming FC is anywhere even remotely near 50).

Don't worry about CH until everything else is cleaned up.

JasonLion said:
It is important to figure out how that TC level breaks down into FC and CC. Did you do the more complex FAS-DPD chlorine test (uses R-0870 and R-0871)? The correct next step very much depends on the FC level.

The PH result is probably invalid because of the high FC level (assuming FC is anywhere even remotely near 50).

Don't worry about CH until everything else is cleaned up.

Jason..Thanks for the reply..Went out of town to daughters game and just returned...Anyway, yes 0870 and 0871 and I did the test twice..94-95 drops. So what is next?

Do not blindly put so much bleach in, that FC is way too high. Read the Shock Process link above again and that is what you should do ... use the poolcalculator.com to know how much bleach to add.

At this point you need to wait for the FC to drop.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Going on six days and water has gone from dark green and staying at light green. I've brushed daily, vac'ed, cleaned filter twice daily and pump running almost 24/7.
Starting last night I'm using my (newer set) of reagents and this morning installed a new filter. For sure some of the reagents have gone bad. Ran each (new/old) set Twice today.

New Numbers:
FC/TC 23 (held overnight)
pH 7.2
TA 100
CH 50
CYA 40

I brushed an hour ago (pump off for now) and I'm going to vac again in a few minutes. So, what is next for me....Do I hold the shock at 16-20 until it clears??
(OK.. I've learned my lesson)

Thanks,
Harry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.