Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water way off (New Number Set-still green) Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Water way off (New Number Set-still green) Help

Well , finally took out the "Trouble Free Test Kit" after the pool went green 4 days ago!! Lots of rain, winter and being a little lazy allowed it to go green. At this point I clean the walls, vac clean filter and then put about 6-8 gallons of bleach in and run the pump for a few days. That did not work this time! Got the green from deep green down to a light green.
    So, my numbers are:
    TC-50
    pH-8.2 Plus
    T/A-50
    CH-30
    CYA-40
    Temp 68
    Fiberglass 8900gal

I've used the pool Calculator and to get things back into check does it matter what order I do it?
    Thanks
    Harry
    Trilogy "Fiberglass" Pool,
    15x34 8900 gal.
    Pentair 1hp Super-Flo Pump
    Pentair CC100 Cartridge Filter, Pentair "Legend" Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water way off

Ignore the pH until the shock process is complete. In fact, ignore everything except FC & CC for now. Your CYA reading will not change significantly even if you do lose some water cleaning the filter.

Are you sure the FC level is 50? or 50 drops? If it really is 50, it's too high - you will lose a significant percentage to the sun, and the higher the FC, the higher the loss. pool-school/shocking_your_pool will tell you what to do and has a link to find your target shock level.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

It is important to figure out how that TC level breaks down into FC and CC. Did you do the more complex FAS-DPD chlorine test (uses R-0870 and R-0871)? The correct next step very much depends on the FC level.

The PH result is probably invalid because of the high FC level (assuming FC is anywhere even remotely near 50).

Don't worry about CH until everything else is cleaned up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It is important to figure out how that TC level breaks down into FC and CC. Did you do the more complex FAS-DPD chlorine test (uses R-0870 and R-0871)? The correct next step very much depends on the FC level.

The PH result is probably invalid because of the high FC level (assuming FC is anywhere even remotely near 50).

Don't worry about CH until everything else is cleaned up.

Jason..Thanks for the reply..Went out of town to daughters game and just returned...Anyway, yes 0870 and 0871 and I did the test twice..94-95 drops. So what is next?
    15x34 8900 gal.

5. Back To Top    #5

Do not blindly put so much bleach in, that FC is way too high. Read the Shock Process link above again and that is what you should do ... use the poolcalculator.com to know how much bleach to add.

At this point you need to wait for the FC to drop.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Water way off (New Number Set-still green) Help

Going on six days and water has gone from dark green and staying at light green. I've brushed daily, vac'ed, cleaned filter twice daily and pump running almost 24/7.
    Starting last night I'm using my (newer set) of reagents and this morning installed a new filter. For sure some of the reagents have gone bad. Ran each (new/old) set Twice today.

New Numbers:
    FC/TC 23 (held overnight)
    pH 7.2
    TA 100
    CH 50
    CYA 40

I brushed an hour ago (pump off for now) and I'm going to vac again in a few minutes. So, what is next for me....Do I hold the shock at 16-20 until it clears??
    (OK.. I've learned my lesson)

Thanks,
    Harry
    15x34 8900 gal.

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Water way off (New Number Set-still green) Help

Yep, you have to continue the shock process as instructed, you are not finished until:
    1. CC .5 or less
    2. OCLT 1.0 or less
    3. Water is clear

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

I will tell you it took two weeks to get my pool clear. Previous owner quit maintaining the day we signed the contract.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!