Took The Borate Plunge - But, May Need Help

bxcrwlly

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 3, 2012
Central Florida
I finally took the borate plunge. I used TFP's guidelines on adding 20MTB and acid. Using TFP's recommended Lamotte test strips, my borate tested at 50. I was shooting for 40...not sure how that happened. Prior to borates I was adding acid every other day to keep PH around 7.4. I was adding 8-12 ounces of MA every other day. Using TFP's recommendations, I'm now using 7.5 as the standard for my pool type. My spa to pool water feature runs strong (est. 3/4 open) for 8 hours a day. Using the smart phone PC recommendation, I'm adding MA every other day (25 ounces) to reduce PH 7.8 to 7.5 with borates at 50 and TA at 75. Seems like I've doubled my acid use since adding borates. According to TFP, TA can run 60-80, so I picked 70-75 as a midpoint. Should I drop my TA to 70 or lower to reduce MA consumption? Any other suggestions?

So I've been running TA at 50 for a few weeks. Acid consumption to maintain PH at 7.5 continues to be about 23 ounces every other day. Should I raise my TA back to the "normal" range around 70 or leave at 50? Appreciate your suggestions and comments as to whether you think that my acid use is also in the normal range. Borates still holding at 50. Pool temp has been cool between 69-73.

Maintaining the PH down near 7.5 is not helping. PH increases are larger when the PH is lower and when the TA is higher. You tried lowering TA, so the next thing to try is to maintain PH around 7.7 to 7.8 instead of taking it down to 7.5.

Since you have borates in the water, there is no harm in leaving the TA where it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.