Jandy CL 580 Caution

Barfo

Feb 21, 2013
California
I recently had my pool re-plastered and I also had my DE filtration replaced with a Jandy 580 cartridge system. My previous home I had an inground 15,000 gal gunite pool with a Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter system. I chose a Jandy over the Sta-Rite due to having a small equipment pad and it was a better fit. However, on initial start up there was a leak from the tank due to a factory damaged O-Ring (note photo). Also, upon removal of the clamp rod, a piece broke off (see photo). Other than that, cleaning the Jandy is a tad easier as the filters are smaller however, the cartridge pleats are more difficult to separate for cleaning than the Sta-Rite. Anyway, I hope this is not a sign of Jandy craftsmanship as it's too late to turn back now. If nothing else goes wrong I will be happy with the Jandy but I never had a problem with the Sta-Rite and I just wanted to share this experience with you all.

Attachments

• Jandy oring.jpg
    Jandy oring.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Jandy clamp.jpg
    Jandy clamp.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 137
I could see an O-ring getting pinched on accident but the T-nut should not break....especially when you are just removing the clamp. Those protrusions are what aligns/holds the clamp in place.

Are they going to send you a new one? Just out of curiosity do those nubs look like they are formed as part of the nut or just "welded" on there. I can't tell on mine.

I hope this is not a sign of quality issues. I've had no issues with my Jandy equipment....but it was manufactured in 2006. (Right before Zodiac acquired them and began to make changes) :|

Mines a 2007 version of the CL580 and my clamp rod doesnt look like that with the nubs, I have the large brass nut like you show. I will have to take a closer look to be sure.

Also this Oring, which one is this? Only Orings are the large one around the tank halves, then a really small 2" one that goes around the top of the pipe where the 4way splitter attaches. Then you have an Oring/Seal on the drain plug (mines a large 3" one).

Dixit

Ahhh the Bulkhead Oring. Thats why I was confused when you mentioned the tank part. Pretty odd how they crushed/cut it like that. That means it got sideways and the guy at the factory just kept cranking the bulkhead fitting and basically sliced it as your picture shows. When I had a new tank bottom shipped 6mo ago, I had to make sure they were all good before we fired it up.

Dixit

When I bought the house 10months ago, I noticed that the bottom bulkhead was leaking. Turns out the previous owner attempted to fix it by putting epoxy on it. Somehow, not sure even HOW he did it, but near that bottom bulkhead had a 2" crack on the tank, crack started from the bulkhead and went out about 2". So it was leaking from there, leaking very slowly, like dripping every second.

30psi on a tank like this, there was no way in heck I was turning on the pump and risking it basically getting larger or worse just exploding (like say when Im at work or out of town). I contemplated changing to DE filter but cost was high as I would have to replace the entire tank. So I got a tank bottom for $300. Was hoping that it would be the exact same so didnt have to do replumbing either. And what happens? I get the tank, Jandy updated it a tad, meaning like the picture you show, inlet/outlet bulkheads are on the same side, exactly how my cracked one was. The new one they sent, inlet was on one side, outlet on opposite side. However it had the lower bulkhead your picture shows, but it was blocked off/provisioned for it, but one couldve hole saw'ed it which I was going to do. But then I wouldve needed a 3" cap for the outlet on the opposite side, Jandy wanted a week to two to send it, so Im like screw it, I dont have that time. So just ended up having to replug the inlet and outlet.

Turns out it was better anyways because I ended up eliminated about 5-7 extra feet of piping after replumbing it.

Here was original setup, you can see the inlet into the tank is the bottom bulkhead, outlet the top bulkhead which was going to Pool Frog chlorinator/chemical distributor thing. So eliminated that thing too.
intakeu.jpg

Here is what it looks like now, you can see how I turned it at an angle so the pump goes into the inlet bulkhead on the right of the tank. Then outlet bulkhead is on the left which makes a straight shot to the LX heater now. Basically the bulkheads are the same height, except just on opposite sides.
after3m.jpg

Dixit

Nice equipment pad you have...looks real nice...I think I'll get some rocks to throw in mine. I hope this Jandy does not turn out to be a POS. Like I mentioned before I prefer the Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge, but my equipment area was too small to accommodate. The Sta-Rite is easier to clean as the pleats have more give to them than the Jandy does. I was also going to go with a DE but I plan on getting solar panels and I have heard stay away from DE if you have solar because DE tends to leak through the system. Plus I'm sure the EPA will outlaw DE someday because it hurts insects or some ridiculous thing.

Its come a long way, look at the first picture and how bad the entire area looked with the random rocks and weeds. The Jandy stuff is good, almost all my stuff is Jandy. I have the iAqualink and love it. The heater works great, filter/tank been great since I replaced it. So I have no concerns with it breaking down now. I think it was clear previous owner didnt maintain it and did workarounds to fix things. Dont get me started in all of it, like the Heater, he bypassed the Hi and Low Limit switches cause they were bad, luckily he didnt melt the unit, the replacement switches were flipping $50.

My fathers house (4houses down from mine) has a 40,000 gal pool and he has a Hayward DE filter tank. Its alright but I gotta say its the same as cleaning a filter cartridge. I have to take the 9 panels out and hose it down cause the backwash doesnt entirely remove it all. I have one of them Aquacombs and it works great to clean the filter pleats easily on the cartridges on the CL580. Takes be like 30mins total to clean all 4 cartridges.

Dixit

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.