New pump

imcj

May 18, 2010
Hi everybody! I took your advice and purchased the Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump . It should be here tomorrow. I'm sure the instructions will say what sand to buy, etc., but I would rather listen to your opinions as you have the tried and true experiences. I had a cartridge pump before, so I have no idea what to do with this one. What sand do I need to get and where is the best place? I understand this type of pump will be easier. I have no idea how to run this thing although I hear you all talk about backwashing, etc., but I'll just be glad to get rid of the cartridges. I live in an agricultural/desert area and at times the dust, etc. made me spray out that thing every other day...after a windy day, boy forget it, just change it! As always, thank you!

You'll need pool filter sand not "play sand" you can pick it up at your local pool store or some Lowes /Home depot's and Walmarts carry it.
I have Zeolite some people don't like it but it works great for me,it's not necessary "pool filter sand" will work great.

As for "Back washing" it's pretty straight forward.

Look for a 20%-25% rise in filter pressure
With the pump off switch your filter multi-port valve to back wash,turn pump on (when the water runs clear turn pump off)
Switch multi port valve to rinse,turn pump on(run for a min. or two),turn pump off.
Switch multi port valve to filter,turn pump on and your back in business.
You may want to purchase a discharge hose to get the waste water away from your pool.

*Always turn your pump off when switching positions on your multi-port valve,to prevent internal damage.*

Oh, I'm so glad I asked. Can I also purchase a discharge hose at Lowe's or do I need to order online? Upon inspection the other day I noticed I also need a regular pool hose to connect from the pool to the pump. It has a crack in it. I actually haven't seen them in our local Lowe's. We don't have a pool store around here to my knowledge, and the only other Lowe's is an hour away.

Yes Lowes carries both items.Look in the plumbing section where the bulk hose is sold,discharge hose and pool/spa hose is usually on the second shelf up.You may want to look online for both hoses as it will probably be cheaper at any rate call lowes and see what each hose costs per foot then you'll know which way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.