Great price 2 Speed 3/4 HP 115V motor $159 SQ Flange

I'm not sure what TFP board thinks of rebuilt motors as a whole, but we haven't had a great experience with them and recommend our customers to stay away and spend the extra to get it brand new with the better warranty.

Can you share some of your experiences in a little more detail?

I had heard that rebuilts typically last only 1-2 years but it is difficult to confirm and I do not understand why this would be. There are only a few failures that can occur in a motor:

Windings: Once these are gone, it does not pay to rebuild the motor.
Bearings: Once replaced, they should be as good as the original.
Capacitor: Again, once replaced, they should be good as the original.
Centrifugal Switch: Not all motors have this but again, should last as long as the original.

However, my theory is that many motor failures are due to bad bearings which in turn are due to a bad seal in the pump. If the motor is replaced without replacing the seal, then the same problem will occur again in fairly short order.

Another issue that is hard to detect is a bent motor shaft. If the motor is rebuilt and used again in a pump, then the seal new or not may fail in short order causing the bearings to rust and freeze.

So the short life of the motor may not have anything to do with being rebuilt, the problem could be that the tech did not properly repair the cause of the original problem. But that is just a theory.

From our experience the problem with rebuilt motors occurs from a couple of different factors:

1. The person doing the rebuilding. Not all are created equal and the original manufacturer's do not do this themselves.

2. The parts a pieces of the motor that get replaced are not always the same quality that was in the original motor.

3. The reason the parts went out, may not have been fixed (water getting into the housing, etc.)

4. You still have the same 3-5 yr old housing of the motor.

We have seen some rebuilt motors last 2 years, however the vast majority of them are done in less than 1.

I have had many motors rebuilt. Usually just bearings...

My polaris motor is on year 8...

Have several clients on year 5 or 6.

I have had one fail...and it was one that I was suspect on in the first place. Pump ran dry and burned the seals. A month later the bearings were screaming. I had them replaced but told the owner that the shaft was likely bent. A year later I had to replace the motor.

That was my 1 out of about 50 or so..pretty good odds.

mas985 said:
All make sense although house does the motor housing fail?

I think he's saying rust. I had the bearings on my motor replaced a couple years ago and the local motor repair shop painted the housing for me too. I didn't ask but I assume they did it as a courtesy and to prevent future corrosion. A rusty motor housing in itself probably isn't bad, but rust tends to creep and could get into other more vital parts of the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.