Intelichlor IC-40 question

Feb 26, 2011
La Quinta, CA
I have an IC-40 model chlorine generator that is 8 months old. When the water temp is below 52 degrees the generator stops producing chlorine, that is a default setting. Recommended water salt level is 3400 ppm. There is a red light on the unit that is "on" and says "low salt" which I know is not true because I have had the water tested twice at my local pool store and both times it came in at 3400 ppm. When the red light is "on" no chlorine is produced. I called a tech guy at Pentair (who makes the unit) and told him. He asked what the current water temp was and I told him 59 degrees...he says that is the reason the light is on and that water temp in conjuction with air temp (which locally has been in the high 60s) is still too low for the unit to be making chlorine. He says that is "no problem" because at that water temp, 59 degres, you don't need chlorine as it is too cold for bad stuff to start growing in the water. According to him when the water and air temps increase the unit will start making chlorine again. Water flow is fine, cell is clean, filter basket and the big metal filter are clean. Anybody care to comment about this?

That sounds likely correct, though there isn't any easy way to be sure until the water warms up. Cold water can interfere with salt level measurement sometimes. I'd manually add a little chlorine now and then until the SWG starts running again (one way or another).

If you have a pool/spa combination, and If your cell is on the main line, you can check the unit by warming up your spa to about 70 degrees. The salt light should go green, and the cell light should come on, if set to 100%. Of course you won't want to leave it at that setting, you are just checking for operation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.