Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA coming through returns?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA coming through returns?

I added 2lbs to the skimmer.. I noticed some granular coming out of the returns. Is this normal? Shouldn't the filter catch the CYA and let it disolve there? I am only concerned because I have that new liner!

2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    No that isn't normal. Nothing you can see individual grains of should get through the filter. If a little CYA dust gets through the CYA won't really be a problem. But something must be wrong with the filter for that to have happened. Has anything like this ever happened before?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Nope.. I have never seen anything come through the returns. I just looked and there are only a few granulars on the bottom. Maybe I added the CYA too fast.. Not sure. I sprinked it slowly. I guess I will add the remaining via a sock.

4. Back To Top    #4

Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Have you taken the top off the filter? You may have some channeling going on allowing water to go straight back into the pool without much filtering taking place.
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

5. Back To Top    #5
    ^^ nope. I think that is my next step.