Kreepy Krauly Legend vs 9300

Sep 14, 2012
OK. I just signed a contract today for a new build. A lot of information and now that the PB has left I'm a bit confused over an option he gave us.

I upgraded to the Intelliflo Variable Pump from Whisperflo Pentair 2HP.

Original cleaning equipment quoted was the Pentair Kreey Krauly Legend. However, when PB found out we have 2 chocolate labs, he said we may want to look at the 9300 instead. He said the "Pentair" 9300, but researching the web I'm assuming he meant Polaris 9300.

He said if we went with the 9300 it would be electric and we would not have to run it through the pump? At least that's what I believe he said. Does this mean we wouldn't need the Intelliflo anymore? He suggested the 9300 vs the Legend because of the potential of dog hair. He said if we stayed with the Legend he would use "boots" to capture dog hair.

We don't plan on swimming with our dogs, but there is no telling if the decide to take a dip or two when we are not around.

He said it would be price neutral if we made the change. I'm supposed to let him know soon.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm not sure I understand all of this and certainly want to make the right decision.

If the 9300 is robotic that means you will have to put it in and remove it on a daily basis and that was a deal breaker for me (or leave it plugged in all the time but I'm not a fan of that approach and my wife would not be pleased with the aesthetics). You will have a cord coming up out of the pool and plugged into the wall. I prefer a cleaner look. There are a lot of people who love the robotic cleaners but in my opinion it's hard to beat a pressure side cleaner, especially once it's properly tuned. We just build and put in the Platinum Legend and it keeps the pool spotless. We have LOTS of organics (crepe myrtles around the pool), dogs, cats, possums - you name it. We chose this over an in floor, robotic, suction cleaner etc. I don't have to use any special additions to the bag on the cleaner. Just my 2p

Much appreciated rjward.

I do think it was robotic as he mentioned it would have to be plugged into the wall. I appreciate the insight as I'm definitely new to this and honestly it's a bit over my head right now!

My pleasure.
If you do decide to go with the robotic, my advise is to still have the pool plumbed for a pressure side cleaner even if it's capped off at your pad. That way should you want to add in the future it is already plumbed. A robotic you can add at any time.

Regarding your original questions about the pumps - a variable speed on your filter pump will allow you to really tune the water flow as you have a wider range of speeds available. In theory there are energy savings as well. That will likely not be as impacted by your cleaner choice.
The main decision point is if you get a pressure side cleaner that needs a booster pump, you will be getting an additional pump albeit usually a relatively inexpensive one.

I would think that a pressure side cleaner and a pump should be a bit less than the robotic cleaner if it's the 9300.

I confirmed today - it definitely is the Polaris 9300 and PB said it would be cost neutral if we want to "upgrade" to it vs the Legend.

Not sure exactly what to do yet, but I do like the idea of having the pool plumbed for the pressure side cleaner if we decide to do the 9300.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.