LifeTime Supporter
Dec 29, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was cleaning my pool today when my Intelliflo pump started making a noise similar to something stuck in the impeller. I shut it off and checked for debris and did not find anything.
My pool was installed 3 years ago with many of the equipment selections assisted by the expert advice from the team here, which I am eternally grateful.

Back to the pump - I turned it back on and it made a clunking mechanical sound and screeched before I stopped it. I turned the power off and reached in to determine if the impeller would turn. It didn't which was not encouraging. Being a few months out of warranty, I decided to remove the motor and impeller assembly to inspect it.

It looks like one of the seals had a slow leak which corroded the captive nuts (and the bottom of the pump motor) on the seal plate which caused the motor weight to shift the axis of the impeller. It looks like the whole thing is toast, :( but I was able to salvage the drive which tests ok and I will probably sell it.

Could anyone give a recommendation on the newer Pentair variable speed pumps? I am leaning towards the Intelliflo XF.

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 115
I'm sorry to hear about your seal failure. Seal failures like that are fairly rare, but when they do happen and they aren't caught right away they can be quite damaging.

The XF is new, and we don't know all that much about it yet. On the surface it looks great, but there simply haven't been any in depth reports on it yet, so no real details I can tell you.

All of the IntelliFlo pumps are very good. I would simply get the least expensive one.

Thanks Dave and Jason.
I contacted Pentair and they want someone to come out and look at it before making a determination. The rep started going down the road of "your long-term water chemistry caused this". Once I informed him that my PH has been within .2 of 7.5 for the last three years due to owning a CAT PH controller, that suggestion quickly evaporated.

Hopefully they cover it.

Thanks again.

Jim

It looks like my PH controller saved the day. They are going to cover the parts, but typically they attribute this to PH problems and deny it.
Dave - many thanks for the recommendation - I was ready to pull the trigger on a new pump.

Jim

As a local warranty station for Pentair, about 95% of all warranty claims are caused by improper chemical balance. But if you have a good warranty station, then they usually try to help you out on a few items. Pentair is really good with their warranties!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.