Central Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Does anyone have experience using the Speedstir magnetic stirrer? Is it just a gimmick or does it really help? Would appreciate any feedback from someone who has tried it.

Thanks,
Rich

Buy one, you will love it. I makes testing so much easier, and more importantly much more accurate.

For tests that requires LOTS of swirling and drop counting while looking for the subtlest of chnges (i.e. the calcium hardness test), it makes things so much easier.

Hi, Rich,

DISCLAIMER - I sell it! :mrgreen:

I was skeptical of the darn thing for the first 6 months or more that it was available. I assumed it really had to be only for pool nerds (wait a minute....I am one so that argument didn't work :shock: ) and probably not of much real value.

I finally broke down and got my own and I got a sheepish grin on my face during the first test.....now I knew what everyone was talking about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did stirring manually for about 2 seasons before I decided it was silly to not give it a try. It's definitely worth the money! The light makes it much easier to see the color and forgetting how many drops have been used is far less likely since you don't have to stir it yourself in between drops.

Just watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyN5rS-WKSc

Didn't realize you had to drop a magnet in first. Isn't that a pain to pull out and wash each time? (I know I'd lose mine, probably in the pool) I've never had a problem swirling by hand, but this gadget does look cool. I think I'd buy one at $9.99, not over $30.

tcat said:
Just watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyN5rS-WKSc

Didn't realize you had to drop a magnet in first. Isn't that a pain to pull out and wash each time? (I know I'd lose mine, probably in the pool) I've never had a problem swirling by hand, but this gadget does look cool. I think I'd buy one at $9.99, not over $30.
I bought extra stirbars. When I'm all done testing, I dump things out and rinse them all. It's no big deal.

Having a speedstir is one of those things that once you have one, you can't imagine not having one.

tcat said:
I think I'd buy one at $9.99, not over $30.
Keep it for 3 years :lol:

I dilute the sample to rinse the tube and then cover it with my hand once the water runs clear (to catch the stir bar as I'm dumping the water). Dab the bar on a paper towel and it's ready to be put away.

FYI -- I thought the same about spending $30, after a season and a half I figured why not. Now I wish I had never wasted my time manually stirring.

I'll admit that I do not use it for the most frequent testing, which is FC and pH. But I always use if for TA and CH -- it makes those so much easier. I also do not use if for CYA which is tested only every 4 to 6 weeks typically. But, given that the CH test can be so very long, well worth it for that. But, if you have a vinyl pool and don't care about CH too much, maybe you could skip that to save a few $. But, in the long run, you will wish you had it. I won mine in a forum contest, FYI.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.