adding stabilizer to pool

bhuels

Feb 11, 2013
This is my first pool and as the time gets close to opening my pool for the season I was wondering how do you add stabilizer to your pool? can you just pour it in and around the pool? Will it hurt the liner if you just toss it in the pool? the pool is a 20x40 inground pool, with swg. this is first time we opened it since we bought the house the previous owner helped show us how to winterize it which he drains half the pool down and explained how to open it but not in great detail.

There is a possibility of damaging the pool surface if you just pour it in the pool.

I recommend putting the cyanuric acid in a sock and placing the sock in a skimmer. As long as the sock doesn't completely block the skimmer that method works great and is reasonably simple. Remember to run the pump for 24 hours after adding CYA and don't backwash/clean the filter for a week.

Reactions: stretchphoto
thanks, also how soon should a recheck cya levels after I add stabilizer to pool? what if you let stabilizer dissolve in a bucket of water?then pour that though out pool? sorry for stupid questions

There are two ways.....simply take the stabilizer, put it into a sock and hang it in the pool as the above post says.....yes, you can disolve it into a bucket of water the best you can (and it will take forever) then pour it in the pool.

I have used the sock method for the past two years. I have an extra piece of 1/4 inch nylon rope that I tie the sock to and it to the sock, then tie that infront of my skimmer. It normally takes a day or so for it to totally disolve into the water. While you can check almost after the CYA is disolved, it is accepted practice that you wait a week before accurate results can be obtained. I generally have waited 3 to 4 days AFTER the stuff is disolved out of the sock befoe checking levels and so far I have been OK.

And since I see you say this is your first pool. Do yourself a big favor and make sure you have a TF-100 test kit (to support this forum) or perhaps a Taylor 2006 test kit. Seriously, testing and knowing exactly what your water is doing IS the key to successful pool ownership and enjoyment by the family. Once I stopped guessing and got one, the fun factor went up for me because the pool was good to go all the time and the wife and kids NEVER had an issue with water quality EVER.

Bob E.

Don't forget temp impacts how fast it dissolves...and at the start of the season, a large sock can surely take 5 days to dissolve...if you are starting from 0 cya, and multiple socks are needed, then you could be looking at a several weeks to get cya up to where you want. We did reverse osmosis on our pool water a few weeks ago -- all the other chemicals we were able to rebalance in 1-2 days...but we're still waiting on CYA.

If you don't want to wait for the CYA to dissolve in a sock, you can obtain and use the liquid form of CYA. It's a lot more expensive than granular though. Typically though, waiting for the CYA to dissolve slowly using the sock method really presents no problems.

thanks for all the suggestions, I have been reading pool school and about to order a tf-100 kit so I am set for the coming season. I will use the sock method which seems to be the best route. thanks again!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sock, old pillow case, nylons all will work. Think of it as acting like a tea bag. Hanging it in front of the return helps it mix faster. You can also give the bag a squeeze one in a while. Shoot for adding less, lesser amount than needed. It's always easier to add more than to remove some. Ask how I know! OOPS.
Also wait a week after you've added your initial amount before you add more. Again.. I've over shot from being impatient.

I am gonna add one thing to the above posts....i would not add any cya until your test kit comes in,you will want to test your cya prior to adding :any to the pool. Take a water sample and let it warm up to room temp and test it and then add the proper amount of cya to reach your desired cya level....that way you don't overshoot your goal.......Mike

Hi, I'm on the verge of adding some stabilizer to my pool to increase the CYA from 0 to 50. I just want to be clear, when we say put the stabilizer in a sock, we really mean a sock right? "Sock" isn't code or a slang term for something else, it's literally a sock.

phoenixtx said:
Hi, I'm on the verge of adding some stabilizer to my pool to increase the CYA from 0 to 50. I just want to be clear, when we say put the stabilizer in a sock, we really mean a sock right? "Sock" isn't code or a slang term for something else, it's literally a sock.
Yes, a cotton sock works fine :goodjob:

phoenixtx said:
When adding stabilizer, i was told (pool store guy) to run the pool for 72 hours straight? Is this right?
Not if you do it our way. If you just dump the stuff in the strainer, it will load up in the filter and/or strainer and cause pH problems unless the water is kept flowing.

An alternative to hanging the sock in front of a return is to tie it to an empty bleach bottle or a pool noodle and just let it float around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.