Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Insurance needed for providing water chemistry service?

1. Back To Top    #1

Insurance needed for providing water chemistry service?

I've seen a few threads about running a side business maintaining pools. Most discuss pricing and best practice methods. Is anyone willing to elaborate on the business side of providing water chemistry services? Such as the insurance that's needed to protect yourself. I'm assuming there is likely a general type of insurance policy business owners usually buy. If you're the only person involved in this service how much might an applicable insurance policy cost per month?

If such a policy is overkill, what steps should be taken to protect yourself from customer issues.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Insurance needed for providing water chemistry service?

General liability of AT LEAST $500k. If someone gets hurt at one of "your" pools it will be your fault, even if it isn't.

Mine is about 300 a year.
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

3. Back To Top    #3

My company has a General Liability policy to cover anyone who might get injured by an employee during a service call such as an employee that is in an accident with his vehicle during a service call for our firm. It also covers my wife and myself if we ever injure someone with our company vehicle. We also have coverage for errors and omissions due to an employee who does something wrong on the job. We also have a policy to cover cyber intrusion to protect our business should someone gain access to our client information and expose it. Our coverage costs about $2300.00 per year. Have all of your insurance ready for any client that asks for it. It will show that you are serious about your business and the services you provide.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

ours is $1MM General Liability plus any vehicle insurance needed

5. Back To Top    #5

A buddy of mine contracts with utilities to do locating services. Obviously he needs insurance in case he messes up and somebody cuts a line, but he was sued for leaving a gate unlatched allowing a dog to get lose. Ended up costing him over $1500 out of pocket because he carried a fairly high deductible.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds as though a side business specializing in water chemistry would be a fairly difficult way to make a profit.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]