Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: winter pool cover issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

winter pool cover issue

We have had couple of good blasts of snow, followed by some warm weather. I came home today and found that the ratchet tie mechanism had broken and the cord came loose and now the weight of the snow on the cover pulled the cover off the top rail.

I inspected the pool and all is well, no damage what so ever. The cover however can not be pulled back its to heavily weighted down by snow.

my concern is not the cover blowing off as the weight of snow will keep in there. but the outer edge of the cover exposes the pool water.

Not sure what i should do at this point. It seems i am going to have to ride it out and when the snow starts melting I should get my utility pump to drain the water from the cover.

Any suggestions on what else i could do would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: winter pool cover issue

I'd probably just try to make sure you open early. The cover isn't absolutely necessary.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sault Ontario

Where I live we get tonnes of snow, my pool is 20' diamter and I buy a 24' diameter winter cover, the extra footage works very well.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree that as soon as it warms up your going to want to get the cove off. Otherwise it's either going to flap around and possible damage your liner or sink into the pool.
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

5. Back To Top    #5

SW Wisconsin

Ha......I had the SAME exact problem as you. We got lots of snow here, and melting and more snow...etc pool winter cover sagged so much that the cable broke and now the entire winter cover is in the pool with tons of snow on top. I am waiting for it to thaw..and will pump all the melted snow off and drag the thing off when I can....and will replace the cable with a heavier cable for next season.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump