Installing a SWG..Need some creative pipe re-routing advice

Feb 12, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Guys,
So I'm installing a SWG (Jandy Aquapure eI Plug-In model) and one of the main reasons for choosing this was easy install and price. After receiving the SWG, I discovered I need a min of 2 1/2 ft of return line and 10 inches on each end from elbows and such (http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/medi ... 35900.ashx). My problem is that I only have 18 inches from filter to valve and I can't figure out a way to re-pipe without it looking unprofessional. I could return it and get the hardwired version which doesn't require that much pipe and it would be very easy to install, but this model was on clearance for $550 and the hard-wired version is $980. Any ideas?

Thanks,
David
http://www.lifelatelee.com/poolimages/poolequip.jpg

Re: Installing a SWG..Need some creative pipe re-routing adv

From the look of things, you either need to go up, or off to the side. To go up you would cut the pipe coming from the filter fairly near the vertical, run it up a couple of feet and then back down into the same column of pipe it currently connects to. Alternatively, you could run it off to the left of the photo and come back horizontally to connect back in where it connects in now. That pipe off to the side would be mildly in the way, so vertically looks more reasonable to me.

That would work, but I was thinking of something more like this:
[attachment=0:3isq8hyr]poolequip2.jpg[/attachment:3isq8hyr]
Sorry about my poor photo editing skills.

The elbow at the top of the vertical pipe the filter pipe currently connects to gets replaced with a T and water flows down into the pipe instead of up the way it did before. The old connection gets removed completely, which is what I was trying to convey with the black smudge I drew.

My approach replaces a little more pipe than yours does, but it ends up with fewer bends in the water path, which means a slightly more efficient system.

Attachments

• poolequip2.jpg
    poolequip2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 145

As Jason shows, you would likely have to replace both of the top 90s since there is no enough pipe between them. There might be enough pipe above the spigot to fit a coupling on. You will also have to cap/plug the T that is currently in use (where the big black blob is located)

If you are not worried about the extra turns, your suggestion would likely be a little easier to plumb without worryingabout possible having to replace some of the valves.

Here are a couple more closer pics of the piping and valve
poolequip1.jpg

poolequip2.jpg

That manual is not very clear on the pipe requirements in my mind. Need 2.5' horizontal pipe {not like your picture} ... ok ... how much pipe before the pod? how much pipe between the pod and cell? how much pipe after the cell?

For the Hayward system they just list a minimum amount of straight pipe before the flow sensor ... which I am assuming is in the pod? So I would think really the only important thing is to have enough straight pipe before the pod ... but how much???

oh..interesting..I guess the manual that is shipped is a little different than the online manual..it includes a couple other things...
The pod must be installed upstream from the cell. It is recommended that the pod and cell be installed 10 in apart.
It is recommended that the pod and cell be installed 10 in from any 90degree elbow.

Does the manual you got say that it must be mounted on a horizontal pipe and within 45 degrees of vertical for the cell?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That looks like about the simplest method. Good work!

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.