New Pool in Metro Atlanta - Fill Water Test Results - Day 1

Sciz Milson

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 13, 2012
Hi everyone.

Well last night after about 24 hours, the pool was finally full. I was able to obtain readings on my water meter to get to an estimated 12,500 - 13,000 gallons (depending on how long of a shower the wife took yesterday).

I am waiting on the PB to come over and turn on the system. I have tested my fill water this morning and have the following results:

ph - 7.5
FC - .5
CC - .5
TC - 1
TA - 220
CH - 70
CYA - 0

The salt system has not yet been cranked up - and according to the start-up card, I should wait a minimum of 28 days before starting the SWCG. If I follow the start-up card correctly, day 3 I should start chlorinating - I'll use bleach until I get the SWCG up.

I would appreciate any thoughts/comments and thanks.

Best,

sciz milson

Re: New Pool in Metro Atlanta - Fill Water Test Results - Da

I'm assuming you are getting a plaster pool, due to your reference to the startup card and the 28 day wait.

Your fill water TA is fairly high, which is going to add to the rate of PH increase due to fresh plaster. Be sure to check and adjust the PH daily during the first three or four weeks while the rate of PH increase is highest.

Seeing some CC in fill water is normal, and shouldn't pose any issues.

You might want to use tichlor for the first month. Trichlor adds both chlorine and cyanuric acid and lowers the PH, all of which you need. It also adds chlorine more slowly and gently than manual dosing with bleach, which is easier on the plaster during the first few days.

Thanks for the real-time response. Correct on the plaster - its Wet Edge Pebble Sheen (i need to modify my signature now that I have the thing built). I'll keep re-testing each day and monitor my results.

I appreciate the input.

Sciz

Did you already put salt in the pool? It is actually better for the plaster curing process if you do not add salt for the SWG for at least 30 days.

I have not added the salt. From my reading, the salt should not be added for a period of 28 days. So that leaves me with manually dosing chlorine until day 3. Fortunately, our temps here in GA are going to be in the mid-upper 40's, so I don't forsee any algae problems. It actually helps now while I get used to the testing. Thanks for your reply.

Best,

Sciz

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.