New Pool Diamond Brite or Pebbletec

May 24, 2010
Southern NJ
We are in the process of installing a new pool in southern NJ. We are getting close to the point of having to choose a plaster type. Our options are diamond brite or pebbletec. We do not want any variation on the color and have seen a few diamonite brite installs that have a small amount of variation. We are also not sure about the roughness of the pebbletec or the possibility of aggregate falling out overtime. Just wanted to know what most people think about both products.
We are also looking into stamped concrete for the decking, but our PB doesn't like to do it since there are also problems with diffusion and sealers and so forth. What do you think?

Thanks

Pebble Tec is considered a better finish, usually costs more and looks better. It is available in different pebble sizes, the smaller pebbles typically cost more and are much easier on your feet. Certainly a few pebbles will come lose over time, but it should only be a few and should not cause any problems. Actual problems caused by pebbles coming loose are extremely uncommon, and almost always due to improper maintenance of chemical levels.

Diamond Brite will always have some color variation. The color can be fairly uniform to quite varied, depending on the skill of the installer, but it will never be perfectly uniform.

Funny you should ask. They just poured our 950sq ft of deck last Thursday. It was composed of a sand colored concrete mix with slate type stamping. Right now all the veins and depressions are filled with a dry milky type haze. On the day of the pour, the PB told my wife that the milky hazy color on the surface would be removed with an acid wash. I'm hoping he is right!!!

Actually that's good. I've heard of problems with the sealer trapping moisture in and then the sealer lifts off of the concrete by a micro fraction of an inch that causes the hazyness and milky color. It's called sealer diffusion.
I was told that all stamped concrete needs to be sealed, otherwise over time it will start to lose it's color.

I've also heard that sealer does make the concrete more slippery.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.