Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Diamond Brite or Pebbletec

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Diamond Brite or Pebbletec

We are in the process of installing a new pool in southern NJ. We are getting close to the point of having to choose a plaster type. Our options are diamond brite or pebbletec. We do not want any variation on the color and have seen a few diamonite brite installs that have a small amount of variation. We are also not sure about the roughness of the pebbletec or the possibility of aggregate falling out overtime. Just wanted to know what most people think about both products.
    We are also looking into stamped concrete for the decking, but our PB doesn't like to do it since there are also problems with diffusion and sealers and so forth. What do you think?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Diamond Brite or Pebbletec

Pebble Tec is considered a better finish, usually costs more and looks better. It is available in different pebble sizes, the smaller pebbles typically cost more and are much easier on your feet. Certainly a few pebbles will come lose over time, but it should only be a few and should not cause any problems. Actual problems caused by pebbles coming loose are extremely uncommon, and almost always due to improper maintenance of chemical levels.

Diamond Brite will always have some color variation. The color can be fairly uniform to quite varied, depending on the skill of the installer, but it will never be perfectly uniform.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Has anyone ever had any issues with stamped concrete being milky or hazy? My PB does not like to do stamped concrete because of some issues he has had in the past. He like to do Kooldeck.

4. Back To Top    #4

Funny you should ask. They just poured our 950sq ft of deck last Thursday. It was composed of a sand colored concrete mix with slate type stamping. Right now all the veins and depressions are filled with a dry milky type haze. On the day of the pour, the PB told my wife that the milky hazy color on the surface would be removed with an acid wash. I'm hoping he is right!!!
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Did they seal the concrete already?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by starrock77
    Did they seal the concrete already?
    Nope... I'm still on the fence whether I want to apply a sealer. I'm told that sealing the whole deck could make it slippery. If that is the only option to keep the haziness away, then I might be sealing it very soon.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Actually that's good. I've heard of problems with the sealer trapping moisture in and then the sealer lifts off of the concrete by a micro fraction of an inch that causes the hazyness and milky color. It's called sealer diffusion.
    I was told that all stamped concrete needs to be sealed, otherwise over time it will start to lose it's color.

I've also heard that sealer does make the concrete more slippery.