Mar 1, 2013
Charlotte, USA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
First time poster here.

My pool builder started building our pool in the fall of 2012 and it seems like there is a lot of water filling into the hole they have dug for our pool. It can fill up 2 - 3 feet per day in the deep end if left un-pumped. They dropped a temp pump in the deep end and asked me to run it every few days when it was warm enough. The concrete floor and liner has not been installed yet because he wanted to wait until spring 2013 when the weather was more favorable for a concrete pour. We didn't mind because it was the fall anyway. I am concerned I don't know all the right things to ask and make sure we are dealing with this type of issue correctly. I was hoping someone could add some thoughts around this. They have installed a perforated pipe around the footing of the side panels which are made from a thick plastic, honeycomb material and the footing has poured concrete. The walls seem super solid and the earth has been filled in around it with gravel, sand and dirt. He also installed another perforated pipe about 2 feet below grade to catch water. Both drain pipes tie into a well which consists of a buried 15" plastic drain pipe vertically mounted, about 8 feet in length, put a cover on it, about 50' away from the pool which has a submersible pump at the bottom with a float switch to pump the water away from the pool and into the woods once the well fills with water. Any thoughts about how he is dealing with this situation? I actually like him a lot but I don't feel educated enough to ask the right questions to make sure I am protected long term. By the way, the well pump has already broken because the pipe going to the woods froze over the winter and eventually the pump burned out. The pump was installed because he couldn't get the correct pitch from the pool to the woods since my yard is so flat the drains simply can't pitch down correctly. Thank you.

Welcome to TFP!

It sounds like your builder is on top of the situation. The area drains should be more than enough to keep the ground water level low enough.

If you are going to have a main drain, it should have a hydrostatic relief valve. It can also be handy, though not essential, to have a couple of well points around the pool that you can drop an extra sump pump into to lower the water table even more when servicing the pool. Everything else I would normally expect to see in that situation you have already mentioned.

Thank you. There will only be skimmers in the pool, no drain in the deep end. I don't know if that is right or wrong but he feels adding an additional skimmer is better than having a drain in the deep end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.