Trying to get things situated...

Feb 26, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm a really new pool owner, new to the forum as well. I'm going through a second and more thorough reading of the "Pool School" and have ordered a new test kit (TF100) as the test kit I have seems to be lacking quite a bit.

Anyways, the pool seems to be in overall good condition (built in the early 90's). I know the chem is off quite a bit, but right now, I'm trying to learn and understand proper pump/filter operation. I have a Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter (Model: S244T). At this point I'm not sure what the 'normal' pressure is supposed to be but the decal on the filter says max working pressure is 50psi. As you can see by the pics, w/ pump off and filter set to "filter" mode, psi rests at about 53psi. When I attempt the backwash procedure, the needle maxes out (Really, it maxes anytime the pump is on...).

My questions:
1) Does the high psi indicate a need for new/more filter sand?
2) Should the viewing glass thing be completely clean? As you can see in the pic, there is sand/debris in it...
3) Am I missing something in the way of a closed valve or something that should be open during these processes?
4) probably a REALLY dumb question, but in backwash/rinse, the water is supposed to go through the waste hose, correct? (that is what is happening)
5) I'm in Tucson, AZ - is it recommended to keep the pool sparkling all year or let it go during the off season and bring it back when the water warms up enough for swimming?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Attachments

• HaywardDecal.jpg
    HaywardDecal.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 116
  • FilterPressure.jpg
    FilterPressure.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 116
:wave: Welcome to TFP, neighbor!!! :wave:

If the gauge is not 0 when the pump is off ... then it is bad and needs to be replaced. No way you will be able to get pressures that high with typical pool equipment.

Viewing glass only is in the loop when in backwash/rinse/waste mode so you can see how dirty the water is leaving to waste. Debris in it does not matter, but you can unscrew and clean it is you like.

Water should exit the hose on backwash (water goes backward through the sand to remove the dirt) or rinse (water goes the normal direction through the sand but goes to water instead of back to the pool) or waste (water skips the filter).

Get a new gauge, at Leslies or Home Depot or Lowes for ~$10, and then you will have a better idea of what is going on in the equipment.

Most people keep running the pump/filter in the winter to keep the pool clear, but it requires a lot less run time. Once the water gets below 50-60 degrees, algae is VERY slow to grow, so it is easy to keep the pool clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.