I'm a really new pool owner, new to the forum as well. I'm going through a second and more thorough reading of the "Pool School" and have ordered a new test kit (TF100) as the test kit I have seems to be lacking quite a bit.
Anyways, the pool seems to be in overall good condition (built in the early 90's). I know the chem is off quite a bit, but right now, I'm trying to learn and understand proper pump/filter operation. I have a Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter (Model: S244T). At this point I'm not sure what the 'normal' pressure is supposed to be but the decal on the filter says max working pressure is 50psi. As you can see by the pics, w/ pump off and filter set to "filter" mode, psi rests at about 53psi. When I attempt the backwash procedure, the needle maxes out (Really, it maxes anytime the pump is on...).
1) Does the high psi indicate a need for new/more filter sand?
2) Should the viewing glass thing be completely clean? As you can see in the pic, there is sand/debris in it...
3) Am I missing something in the way of a closed valve or something that should be open during these processes?
4) probably a REALLY dumb question, but in backwash/rinse, the water is supposed to go through the waste hose, correct? (that is what is happening)
5) I'm in Tucson, AZ - is it recommended to keep the pool sparkling all year or let it go during the off season and bring it back when the water warms up enough for swimming?
Thanks, in advance, for your help.