Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flowtec seal

1. Back To Top    #1

Flowtec seal

Hey Group, I ran a search on this and came up empty so sorry in advance if this has been addressed. My Flowtec 1hp pump has a significant amount of air in the top. I have changed the o-ring once on it and tried to lube the o-ring before tightening but no luck. My old Wayne pump that this replaced did not have any leakage/bubble issues. I'm just wondering if this is common with the Flowtec pumps? It also "burps" about a 1/2 a cup of water when the pump is turned off.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    USN Retired 1999
    I've cut the pipe twice and it's still too short.
    San Juan Phoenix IG, 14,400 gals, light blue, fiberglass, Hayward Colorlogic light with wet niche, Flotec 1hp single speed, Hayward S180T sand, Aqua Rite salt controller with Hayward T-15 cell, Helio - Matic solar controller with Jandy 3-way valve and actuator, 6 - 2x20 Sungrabber Solar panels, Torx timer with freeze protection, Brushed concrete with Cantilevered Edge, 6 inch inside perimeter ceramic tile. Taylor K-2005 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flowtec seal

Burping is common with many pumps because a IG pump lid is made to seal under suction and not so much under pressure. So sometimes when shutting off a pump, a pressure wave is created as water in rushes into the pump basket and squirt out of the lid.

As for the bubble, have you also checked the pump drain plugs? Another source is any valve on the suction side of the pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Flowtec seal

Thanks Mark, didn't think to check the plugs, duh, I'll take a look. I'm pretty sure the rest of the suction side is Ok as I haven't disturbed anything since the previous pump. I will recheck though, thanks again!
    USN Retired 1999
    I've cut the pipe twice and it's still too short.
    San Juan Phoenix IG, 14,400 gals, light blue, fiberglass, Hayward Colorlogic light with wet niche, Flotec 1hp single speed, Hayward S180T sand, Aqua Rite salt controller with Hayward T-15 cell, Helio - Matic solar controller with Jandy 3-way valve and actuator, 6 - 2x20 Sungrabber Solar panels, Torx timer with freeze protection, Brushed concrete with Cantilevered Edge, 6 inch inside perimeter ceramic tile. Taylor K-2005 test kit.