Slide, scuppers... how will it all work?

Sep 26, 2012
I want to make sure I have a good waterflow at the slide.... so builder says need an extra pump that can be either for scuppers or slide I think. We are going to discuss tomorrow but wanted to try to learn how all this works so I understand better.....

Hate to spend another 400 for a pump but if it is really needed to make it all work correctly, then.... will do it!

Thanks, KIM

We need a lot more info than you've given to be able to answer that question. Or, if you have an ongoing thread you should post it over there so we'll see the info.

It doesn't make sense to me that it could be for either scuppers or slide, as scuppers are suction side devices and the slide is a discharge side device.

Well, I don't have a build thread going yet as we are digging next Tuesday. I just told the builder I wanted to make sure the slide had enough water power going to it. Then I asked how the scuppers would work, like would they be on any time the pool was running? That kind of stuff. Then he mentioned maybe adding a second pump. Right now we have a tristar 2 speed 2 hp figured in. I can post a schematic of my pool, maybe that will help. Thanks for trying to help!

Well, I can post a pic.. the schematic one is too large it says and wont let me post.

Pool is 35.2 length and 23 ft at widest.

Thanks again, KIM

Attachments

• Kim_Gillihan slide2_007 (2).jpg
    Kim_Gillihan slide2_007 (2).jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 137
A pool scupper is typically a kind of small waterfall (kind of like the ocean side of a boat scupper when the boat is draining water).

There are different kinds of slides. Some just need to be damp, which wouldn't require a separate pump, others need a good amount of water flow, which could require a pump.

If you only need one of the spa, the slide, and the scuppers running at a time then it seems reasonable to use your existing pump. On high speed it should have plenty of flow to run any one of those (plus the pool when not in spa mode). If you want two or more at the same time then you either want a variable speed pump or two separate pumps. The only exception I can think of is if you are talking quite a number of scuppers, which would need more water.

Ok, thanks so very much for your ideas! We are getting the sr smith typhoon slide if that helps.

I will ask about these options you have given and also about the variable speed pump. I wasn't getting VS pump to begin with to save money.... so if it would help in these other areas and be less money over all than 2 pumps, that sounds like a win if we think we need it!

Thanks so much again...kim

Ok, so do ya'll think I am ok with my tristar 2 speed running scuppers, slide, spa? I am assuming I will have to choose to either have scuppers on or spa etc, right? Or do I need to get a variable speed pump?

I have 3 scuppers.

I really want this to be right! Thanks again for your help.

KIM

You don't need a variable speed pump, nor two pumps. There are some advantages to having one or the other, but everything will work without. The largest advantage of getting a variable speed pump is that it becomes very simple to dial in exactly the amount of water movement you want in each mode. With a single two speed pump you still have some control, if the plumbing is done correctly, but flow rates in each mode are much more constrained. That is a cool feature, but hardly required.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.