Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LA's Totally Awesome Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

LA's Totally Awesome Bleach

http://www.dollartree.com/LA-s-Totally- ... /index.pro

I got a 96 oz jug of this stuff at the Dollar Tree for (you guessed it) $1.

No useful info on the label except "contains sodium hypochlorite" (duh)

Any guess as to what % bleach is contained in this mysterious container? It smells like bleach, but not overpowering-like
    25K gal IG plaster pool w/ spillover jacuzzi, 12 Gulf Solar coils (leaking/currently bypassed), ancient Raypak propane heater (rusted/currently bypassed), Pentair 001018 VS pump, 4.9 sq ft Triton II sand filter, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: LA's Totally Awesome Bleach

At the LA's Totally Awesome website, the product page is a compendium of contradictions.

http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/htm...ld_Bleach.html

The FAQs appear to be for their cleaner product, not their bleach. The available sizes don't match the 96oz size you got.

Suggest you give them a call and find out about the concentration but I'm guessing it's very low (3-4%) and don't think a scented product is what you want for a pool.

Gregg
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

3. Back To Top    #3

yeah, it's a bit like reading the User Manual for a tool from Harbor Freight - you're better off just figuring it out yourself

I was hoping someone had used it and estimated a concentration based on the results

Fresh Scent may just be a marketing term - it smells like bleach to me
    25K gal IG plaster pool w/ spillover jacuzzi, 12 Gulf Solar coils (leaking/currently bypassed), ancient Raypak propane heater (rusted/currently bypassed), Pentair 001018 VS pump, 4.9 sq ft Triton II sand filter, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with Gregg, it's most likely 3% or so. I highly doubt it's 6%.

If you normally use bleach and you know how much it takes to raise the FC a certain ppm then add that much of the above bleach and test and see if it raises it the same. That'll tell you if it's the same strength as what you normally use.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by twd000
    yeah, it's a bit like reading the User Manual for a tool from Harbor Freight - you're better off just figuring it out yourself

6. Back To Top    #6

Sodium Hypo goes bad quickly. I bet a lot of the 10-12% available in 4 - 1 gallon containers at the pool store is much less. Discount stores certainly are not in a hurry to move the product meaning it is even older and probably less potent.
    Viking Gulf Shore (19,000 gallon) free form fiberglass in ground with Hayward 72 ft^2 DE filter and 1.5 HP pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

The rate of decay mostly depends on how strong it started, but more importantly, temperature and light exposure during storage. Chemgeek posted a chart awhile back that gave the halflife of various concentrations at various temps, and it was actually pretty long.

Last spring Menard's had a ridiculous BOGO sale on 12%. I bought sixteen bottles and had no problems for 2 months. Then over Memorial Day weekend I bought about 6 more cases at an Ace Hardware sale, and that lasted another 10 wks. I stored it in my basement in a closet, so it was cold and dark, and all of my bleach additions resulted in tests that were spot on.

This spring when Menard's has their BOGO sale, I'm buying 8 cases, and that should get me through almost the whole summer.

33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

See the chart at the bottom of this link.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, my wife buys this junk and it seems to work well for the washing, but how can I test it as the LA Totally Awesome sits is of no use. I called them and was told they would send me as MSDS but so far nothing. I would really like to figure it out as I am really having fun with the BBB method.
    13000 gallon fiberglass, cartridge filters pentair Intelliflo Variable speed Programmable Pump separate booster pump solar panels on roof

10. Back To Top    #10

If they don't bother to label the bottles with a percentage, it is almost certainly 3% or less.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

thanks for replying on what may well be the %. BTW I called sinced I posted for an MSDS again they said they would and again no word. So that's a cinch for 2% maybe. Ill look elsewhere...again thanks
    13000 gallon fiberglass, cartridge filters pentair Intelliflo Variable speed Programmable Pump separate booster pump solar panels on roof

12. Back To Top    #12

Keep in mind, I'm in no way an expert. All I've learned, is just from Personal Experience.

But, I *today* purchased a bottle of this stuff.. and, I have a extremely strong feeling, this stuff is more than 3%.

No. There isn't a amount of Sodium Hypo Listed.... but, unlike the cheapie 2.75/3% Liquids, the liquid is actually a darker yellow, not a light, barely noticeable one. That, and the Bleach actually smells strong. Now.. I wouldn't say it's 8.25, because, it's not, *eye watering* but, it does seem pretty close. It really does hit you in the face, something the 3% wouldn't do.

Keep in mind, I'm not an expert, but, I'd imagine this stuff, atleast my bottle, is about 5.25 or 6% at least. I've noticed that some bottles (of Store Brands) can be stronger than others, so maybe mine was just a fluke, but, if you have a $1 to spare, this brand might be worth retrying.

13. Back To Top    #13

Welcome to TFP!

Thanks for the info on this. Someone who uses this should just see the result when adding it to their pool. One should be able to figure the % based on the actual FC rise seen when adding a known quantity to the pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

Can't you just test it with FAS/DPD?
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by zethacat View Post
    Can't you just test it with FAS/DPD?
    Directly? No. It requires significant dilution, but rather than going through that process, why not just use your pool to dilute it and measure your pool?
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

16. Back To Top    #16

I don't know. I imagine it would be less accurate, as it may be difficult to know exactly how many gallons are you in your pool at any given time.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

17. Back To Top    #17

If you are pretty close on your pool volume, it will be more than adequate for an estimated dose/strength. You cannot measure bleach strength directly without a specific kit. Otherwise it has to be done with dilution. Doing so in a clean pool is sufficient.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

18. Back To Top    #18

I did a test today. The cheapo $1 bleach from HEB only raised the FC 1 point (should be no big surprise). The $3 HEB brand, Bravo, raised it 5 (agrees with the poolmath calc). Going by the poolmath calc, the $1 bleach is 2.25% strength. Not worth the "savings".
    Anthony Sylvan 17k gal free form IG Gunite. 3' - 6'. Waterway SVL56 Pump. Pentair FNSP 48 (sq ') DE Filter (2013). Polaris 280 sweep w/Polaris PB4 booster. 2 skimmer intakes and 2 deep-end intakes. 4 returns. Pool Installed 2010. Filled from city water (Austin, TX - CH 50ppm. pH 9.0). Taylor k-2006 test kit. Currently running the pump 6 hrs / day.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

At my DollarTree, they have the full gallon Awesome Bleach. I buy it by the case. It is dated within a week or so of when I buy it. I've tested it to be 5.5 to 6% Using the dilution method mentioned in other posts. The smaller one they sell tests between 3.5 and 4.5%
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    At my DollarTree, they have the full gallon Awesome Bleach. I buy it by the case. It is dated within a week or so of when I buy it. I've tested it to be 5.5 to 6% Using the dilution method mentioned in other posts. The smaller one they sell tests between 3.5 and 4.5%
    If it's 5.5%, that's a great deal, right? I calculate 0.142 (1.00/128/.055).
    Outdoor concrete pool, 14,000 gallons, Purex Triton Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast