2 speed wiring question

msumoose

In The Industry
Apr 19, 2012
While I am good (enough) with electricity, I have a question about a retrofit.

If I wire a DPST timer/switch on the common leg of a 220v 2 speed motor, will it still shut the pump off and turn it on?

If you had to wire a new application 2 speed in (timed on and off) and a polaris booster pump (this needs to be timed too - and only on when pump is on "high"), how would you do it.

Automation above intermatic mechanical timers is OUT. No Goldine or the like systems.

LET IT FLY!

msumoose said:
If I wire a DPST timer/switch on the common leg of a 220v 2 speed motor, will it still shut the pump off and turn it on?
Yes. You really ought to wire both hot legs to the switch before the speed selector if possible, that is much safer.

msumoose said:
If you had to wire a new application 2 speed in (timed on and off) and a polaris booster pump (this needs to be timed too - and only on when pump is on "high"), how would you do it.
You can use a standard timer to do this. Power the timer used to control the polaris from an always hot wire, but run power to the timer switch (which goes to the polaris) from the hot output of the two speed controller. This has the disadvantage of powering both pumps on one breaker.

Yes. You really ought to wire both hot legs to the switch before the speed selector if possible, that is much safer.
If you had to wire a new application 2 speed in (timed on and off) and a polaris booster pump (this needs to be timed too - and only on when pump is on "high"), how would you do it. You can use a standard timer to do this. Power the timer used to control the polaris from an always hot wire, but run power to the timer switch (which goes to the polaris) from the hot output of the two speed controller. This has the disadvantage of powering both pumps on one breaker.

This is what I had sketched up...but was wondering about the motor itself..thanks.

So the speed selector switch should be parallel to the timer (after the breaker?), and using the breaker (not the main panel breaker - a breakout box) as a switch for ALL power?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.