Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 speed wiring question

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

2 speed wiring question

While I am good (enough) with electricity, I have a question about a retrofit.

If I wire a DPST timer/switch on the common leg of a 220v 2 speed motor, will it still shut the pump off and turn it on?

If you had to wire a new application 2 speed in (timed on and off) and a polaris booster pump (this needs to be timed too - and only on when pump is on "high"), how would you do it.

Automation above intermatic mechanical timers is OUT. No Goldine or the like systems.

LET IT FLY!
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 speed wiring question

Quote Originally Posted by msumoose
    If I wire a DPST timer/switch on the common leg of a 220v 2 speed motor, will it still shut the pump off and turn it on?
    Yes. You really ought to wire both hot legs to the switch before the speed selector if possible, that is much safer.

Quote Originally Posted by msumoose
    If you had to wire a new application 2 speed in (timed on and off) and a polaris booster pump (this needs to be timed too - and only on when pump is on "high"), how would you do it.
    You can use a standard timer to do this. Power the timer used to control the polaris from an always hot wire, but run power to the timer switch (which goes to the polaris) from the hot output of the two speed controller. This has the disadvantage of powering both pumps on one breaker.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Intermatic makes a two speed timer:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T10604 ... c+t106+104

You can wire the booster to either the high speed, low speed, or the on/off depending on how you want it to operate.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yes. You really ought to wire both hot legs to the switch before the speed selector if possible, that is much safer.
    If you had to wire a new application 2 speed in (timed on and off) and a polaris booster pump (this needs to be timed too - and only on when pump is on "high"), how would you do it. You can use a standard timer to do this. Power the timer used to control the polaris from an always hot wire, but run power to the timer switch (which goes to the polaris) from the hot output of the two speed controller. This has the disadvantage of powering both pumps on one breaker.
    This is what I had sketched up...but was wondering about the motor itself..thanks.

So the speed selector switch should be parallel to the timer (after the breaker?), and using the breaker (not the main panel breaker - a breakout box) as a switch for ALL power?
    Science and Math Teacher

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Intermatic makes a two speed timer:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T10604 ... c+t106+104

You can wire the booster to either the high speed, low speed, or the on/off depending on how you want it to operate.
    Yes, but that won't fit this install. I originally was going down that road...
    Science and Math Teacher

6. Back To Top    #6

I was thinking breaker -- DPST master power switch -- switch or timer to control speed -- motor
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School