New TF-100 kit owner 1st results

Kwikee

Feb 13, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Having previously been using a simple kit from the pool shop ( with the tablet FC test), I figured I better get serious and get a decent test kit. The TF-100 seems to get pretty good reviews so here I am!
1st results and it looks like the pool is pretty close to where it should be. I have been battling algae and after several shocks and plenty of vacuuming, it's finally clear.
Anyway, results:
FC: 7.0
CC: 0
PH: 7.2
TA: 90
CH: 330
CYA: 60

I think I can let FC come down a bit now, given the CYA was at 150 8 weeks ago (pool shop test). I have been vacuuming to waste and topping up so I'm dreading the next water bill!

Kwikee, isn't it amazing how much information you get from a simple, but proper test kit? It's funny you mentioned about having some algae problems, I didn't have any until the fall (about same time up here comparatively) although it probably occured around the same time we had numerous rain showers and the like.

I have an above ground pool and I keep it covered virtually all the time except for when kids are in it having fun so I hope I keep most of the tree Crud out, but this fall alot of leaves fell in the pool during open time despite maybe uncovered 6 hours a day on the weekends. I keep up on my chemistry but it is suprising at times to see how fast things can go south with a pool.

Bob E.

Congrats on buying a great test kit.

Your numbers looks pretty good to me. With CYA at 60, in a manually chlorinated pool, you should be targeting 7ppm FC. I would not let FC come down and do not let it drop below 5ppm as minimum.

PS...since you obtained a FC reading of 7.2, I'll assume you are measuring using a 25ml sample. You can save on reagent by using a 10ml sample and measuring in 0.5ppm increments.

Agreed, it took me a couple of months to gain my confidence, then I started using the 10ml test sample. I was going through alot of test chemicals quickly until I did that. You might want to take a big hint early: get one of those Taylor stir things......

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.