Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New TF-100 kit owner 1st results

1. Back To Top    #1

New TF-100 kit owner 1st results

Having previously been using a simple kit from the pool shop ( with the tablet FC test), I figured I better get serious and get a decent test kit. The TF-100 seems to get pretty good reviews so here I am!
    1st results and it looks like the pool is pretty close to where it should be. I have been battling algae and after several shocks and plenty of vacuuming, it's finally clear.
    Anyway, results:
    FC: 7.0
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 90
    CH: 330
    CYA: 60

I think I can let FC come down a bit now, given the CYA was at 150 8 weeks ago (pool shop test). I have been vacuuming to waste and topping up so I'm dreading the next water bill!
    41k litre (11k gal) shotcrete in ground pool, Hayward super 2, Davey Monarch 28, zodiac SWCG
    - undergoing a transformation!
    2nd season Pool Owner. TF-100 testing
    Melbourne, Australia.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New TF-100 kit owner 1st results

For what it's worth, and a little surprisingly to me, tap water has no chlorine at all, at least less than 0.5ppm. pH is around 7.2, as you would expect. Love this kit
    41k litre (11k gal) shotcrete in ground pool, Hayward super 2, Davey Monarch 28, zodiac SWCG
    Melbourne, Australia.

3. Back To Top    #3

Kwikee, isn't it amazing how much information you get from a simple, but proper test kit? It's funny you mentioned about having some algae problems, I didn't have any until the fall (about same time up here comparatively) although it probably occured around the same time we had numerous rain showers and the like.

I have an above ground pool and I keep it covered virtually all the time except for when kids are in it having fun so I hope I keep most of the tree **** out, but this fall alot of leaves fell in the pool during open time despite maybe uncovered 6 hours a day on the weekends. I keep up on my chemistry but it is suprising at times to see how fast things can go south with a pool.

Bob E.

4. Back To Top    #4

Congrats on buying a great test kit.

Your numbers looks pretty good to me. With CYA at 60, in a manually chlorinated pool, you should be targeting 7ppm FC. I would not let FC come down and do not let it drop below 5ppm as minimum.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

PS...since you obtained a FC reading of 7.2, I'll assume you are measuring using a 25ml sample. You can save on reagent by using a 10ml sample and measuring in 0.5ppm increments.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Agreed, it took me a couple of months to gain my confidence, then I started using the 10ml test sample. I was going through alot of test chemicals quickly until I did that. You might want to take a big hint early: get one of those Taylor stir things......

Bob E.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry, FC should read 7.0, just edited. I'm using the 10ml sample.
    Pool got a fair amount of rain over the past few days so CYA will be further diluted. I'll keep FC at 7 and see how it goes.
    Melbourne, Australia.