Pentair EasyTouch Programming using IntelliChlor, IntellipH

mnittler

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2012
South Texas
Does anyone else have problems getting the Pentair EasyTouch to do what they want to do?
I think it might be my terminology vs. Pentair's terminology and definitions. I might just have a brain cramp since I have quite a bit of electrical experience.
My main schedule (8am to 7pm) works as intended (IntelliFlo pump works at correct rpm, pool/spa valves are set correctly, IntelliChlor works, IntellipH works.
I created another schedule outside the original schedule (3am to 4am) and the IntelliChlor works but the IntellipH does not function.
I created a pump high speed and the intelliChlor works and the IntellipH works.
I created a pump low speed (high enough rpm to make the IntellipH flow switch turn on then added 300 rpm for good measure to be sure it stayed on) and the IntelliChlor works but the IntellipH will not function.
I have noticed that it looks like if you press anything then schedules do not work for 24 hours? Why, I do not know, what logic this is?
It appears that this EasyTouch is a very powerful piece of equipment but contrary to human logic and desires.
Future Desires: I also wanted to add a new schedule for cleaning with a Pentair Legend II (uses existing pool pump without booster pump).
Is there some secret instruction manual somewhere that is written with examples? I have not been able to make heads or tails of the manual that came with the EasyTouch.

How do you make things happen (program the EasyTouch) like the owner wants it too? :hammer: This unit should make a person :party: if everything worked as desired.

Re: Pentair EasyTouch Programming using IntelliChlor, Intell

You certainly have to think the way Pentair thinks, or none of it is going to make any sense. Once you wrap you mind around their point of view, things get much simpler.

It sounds like you might have run into the difference in the two definitions of the "pump" being on. The first definitions is obvious, out in the real world there is a physical pump, and you can look at it and see if it is on or not. However, inside the controller, the virtual "pump" is only on if the pump program is scheduled to be on. The real world pump can be on at lots of other times, any time any circuit with a speed programmed in is active. But the logical pump is only on if it is scheduled in the pump program to be on.

Now I have set up what I call the main schedule Pool for 12 hours (7am to 7pm) and set the Pentair VS-3050 pump speed to low 1600 rpm. I have created another schedule for 4 hours (10am to 2pm) and set the pump to high 3000 rpm. I have now figured out the the higher rpm setting is always selected if there is a rpm schedule conflict. High select rpm always wins. The high speed schedule was set to help the Paramount in-floor cleaners do extra cleaning/stirring for 4 hours. All valves work properly and the IntelliChlor and IntellipH work correctly the entire 12 hours. The reason I have them scheduled during the middle of the day is that I have 240 vac 5kw grid tied solar cells (that only work when the sun is shining) and a 240 vac grid tied 10kw wind turbine (that only works when the wind is blowing). The highest potential of extra power generation is during the daylight hours.

Just a tidbit of additional information.
I measured the 1600 rpm @ 8 psi at the filter, 1.1 amps and estimated 3000 gph.
I measured the 3000 rpm @ 28 psi at the filter, 5.7 amps and estimated 5100 gph.

Now I also want to add a pressure side non-booster pump cleaner (Pentair Legend II or Polaris 360) to the mix to assist with the cleaning of leaves. During construction we installed the pressure side cleaner 1-1/2" plumbing to the pool it is just not hooked up to water pressure at this time.

I want to add another schedule for the pressure side cleaner with an independent rpm setting and additional valve actuator. So I would have to close the valve actuator to the in-floor cleaners (I have no top side returns, the only return is the in-floor cleaners), open the valve actuator to the Pressure side cleaner, reset the rpm, and leave the suction valve actuator from the pool. I also have a spa thrown into the mix that needs to remain closed during the pressure side cleaning.

Where would I put this new pressure cleaner schedule? Does the pressure side cleaner have to be within the main schedule 7am to 7pm our outside of the main schedule?
How would I close the in-floor cleaner valve and open the pressure side cleaner valve and reset the rpm?

The RPM is the easy part, just set each aux item to have the RPM it requires, and as you said the higher RPM wins (which is nearly always what you want).

Closing the in-floor cleaner would normally be done by associating the valve which turns in-floor off with the high RPM schedule for the in-floor system. That way in-floor is only on when running the high RPM in-floor option.

The new pressure cleaner schedule gets attached to a free aux circuit and then you associate the valve that turns on the cleaner with that circuit. If you want to SWG and Intelli_PH to work with the cleaner program it should be inside the main pump time.

Our pool is about three months old and I have spent the past few months devouring the EZ touch manuals and making notes in a manner that seems to make more sense to me. I'm not sure who does pentair's technical documentation but I suspect that they are not technical writers / have never presented or taught a technical topic. It all seems a bit scatterbrained. As part of the learning process I just installed the screenlogic2 protocol adapter and I find that the screenlogic interface seems to be much more logically arranged than the way stuff is grouped in the easytouch controller. If you are technically comfortable with running the wires it's a breeze to connect. The hardest part was to decipher the sloppy software install instructions - most likely written by the same people. Just my 2p.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.