how many of you use a manual vacuum system?

twd000

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I was surprised at how much discussion in this corner of the forum is centered around selecting and servicing automatic pool cleaners.

My only experience with pool cleaning was at my parent's house growing up. Dad had a manual vac head, aluminum pole and 30' of blue hose, hooked right into the skimmer basket. It was my job to vacuum the pool when it needed it, probably 2x a week depending on what leaves were falling. I don't remember it taking more than 20 mins. No big deal, and kind of relaxing.

I see a lot of posts with people battling these $500 robots and auto cleaners, trying to keep them on track, buying replacement parts, etc.

Am I missing something, or is a simple manual setup the way to go?

I have an automatic cleaner and it's sitting on the deck box and hasn't been used in over a year.

I like to manually vacuum the pool. It's my quiet time. I don't allow anyone else in the pool while I'm vacuuming.
It's nice to get out there on a sunny afternoon and enjoy vacuuming the pool. There's kind of a zen to sucking up the leaves and little pieces of debris, watching them get drawn under the vacuum head.

A lot of people like bama enjoy the peacefulness of manually vacuuming. I hear it hear on the forum frequently.

My pool is pretty large with a 25' width (long reach) so it quickly becomes tedious for me. I am also surrounded by a lot of trees so my pool gets pretty dirty if it is not cleaned daily.

Besides, the pecking order at my house is The Big Boss, the kids, the dog, then me and lastly, the robot. I like bossing something around. :shock: :shock:

I have an automatic cleaner but I may go to doing it manually. The automatics work good the first year or two but then you start having problem and repairs to deal with. They cost too much money to have to keep sinking money into them every year and it doesnt take that long to do it manually!!!! :whoot:

I use a Manual vac hooked into the skimmer. I don't always want to do it, and I only have to once a week or so. I don't get too many leaves, mostly small dirt and dust particles that settle in the bottom. I don't always get all of it because I have to run my pumps to vaccum, and it stirs the dirt a little bit. I get most of it but wonder if a bot would take care of it for me. The maintenance seems to be a little much for a bot, but I would only use it once a week, and it would only be picking up small particles. The added cool piece to the bot, is the scrubbing of walls and the floor! I hate to scrub but excuse it as a good workout. I am really debating a bot so that I can try it since I am still new to being a pool owner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.