Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What should a contractor do during replastering?

1. Back To Top    #1

What should a contractor do during replastering?

Hi all,

I am going to get my pool replastered (from white plaster to pebble). There are three major plastering companies in Austin. They all have a slightly different approach on how to replaster my pool.

Company A: Chip around fittings and below water line tiles. Acid wash and bond coat. Replaster. They don't recommend chipping away all old plaster, as it will create more problems.

Company B: Chip around fittings and below water line tiles. Sandblast (sometimes chip away all old plaster if it is loose). Acid wash and bond coat. Replaster

Compnay C: Chip around fittings and below water line tiles. Acid wash and bond coat. Replaster.

Just want to know what is the right approach in replastering. The pool has been drained for 2 years. It is a gunite pool built above ground. Please advise. Thanks.
    Lazy-L shaped pool and a spa. 22.5k gallons. Pentair VS pump. Pentair cartridge filter CCP520. STA-Rite SR400NA heater (400K BTU). Leuder limestone coping. Pebble sheen (blue granite) Wooden deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What should a contractor do during replastering?

Good question!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

3. Back To Top    #3

It has way more to do with the skill of the team actually doing the work than it does with what they tell you. Get references and check them. That is much more important than anything they say about what they are going to do.

If any of the existing plaster is in any way loose, it must be removed. There is no way around that and any competent team will do that even if it isn't mentioned by their sales people.

There isn't anything wrong with a full chipout and replace, but it does take more work and is hardly ever required. Likewise, as long as the existing plaster is sound, there is nothing wrong with a simple acid wash and cover over with chip out only around the existing fittings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the pool still empty? If so you could get in and knock on the plaster all around and listen for hollow spots. With it exposed to the air and sun for 2 years, I would expect a lot of chipping will be necessary.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Scott, did you have this done?
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Not yet. It is hot right away. I read an article about the issues of plastering in hot and dry weather. My plastering company does not take those extra steps to protect the curing process in the summer, so I decided to wait until the fall.
    Lazy-L shaped pool and a spa. 22.5k gallons. Pentair VS pump. Pentair cartridge filter CCP520. STA-Rite SR400NA heater (400K BTU). Leuder limestone coping. Pebble sheen (blue granite) Wooden deck.

7. Back To Top    #7

Scott, I will chime in with what one of the PBs we are interviewing for our reno told me about chip-out vs. sandblast. He said in hot weather, they do a full chip-out because they cannot use the sandblaster. In cooler weather, they sandblast. Why? I have no idea, but that might be a lead that you could research. Good luck!
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

8. Back To Top    #8

This is the article I found on the web.

http://www.poolgeniusnetwork.com/profil ... on-hot-and