new pool filled with well water- ph is 6.8- why so low?

Feb 21, 2013
costa rica
this is a new pool. finished filling it last monday - took 4 days using well water. initial test results were
FC - 0
TC - 0
pH - 6.8
TA - 40
CH - 50
CYA - ?

we drink the well water, its clear, and tasteless, quite good.
am wondering why the ph is so low at 6.8. any ideas?

today i'm going to be conservative- and add 1 kilo of CYA acid- granulated- just to get in a bit until i can test for it,
and 1 kilo of soda ash- to see how it affects the levels i can measure thus far.

so far have only added 900gms of granulated chloro on 4 separate nights- it's 70% fc.
i bought some more chems today at last. cya, granulated chloro, and soda ash.
still looking for the others.
can only find bicarb in the super- 100 gram bags- quite useless i fear.

can't find a decent test kit -will have to keep looking.
when i ask for a test for CYA they all say NOPE don't have one, and you don't need it anyways. lol go figure.
i see its going to be a problem here in costa rica, who would have thought-with so many pools here
any ideas - if pools supply stores don't carry them, what other industry might i try?

at least the water is still nice and clear-hoping itdoesn't get too far ahead of me.

What are you currently using to get your test results?

Based on the % give, sounds like the chlorine you are using is cal-hypo which will raise your calcium (CH) level ... just be aware.

Also note that the CYA is acidic and can also contribute to lowering the pH.

I know there are 3rd party companies that can ship test kits from the US to you.

You might consider aerating the pool water to create bubbles. Doing this will cause the pH to rise. One way to do this is to aim a return upward where the water breaks the surface a bit.

halifaxblue said:
we drink the well water, its clear, and tasteless, quite good.
am wondering why the ph is so low at 6.8. any ideas?
The EPA recommends drinking water ph to be between 6.5-8.5 and the WHO states that typical drinking water has a ph range from 6.5-9.5...so your 6.8 is fine as it is just slightly acidic (ph of 7 is neutral), and much less than your stomach's ph which can range from 1.0-5.0. By the way, orange juice ph is ~3.5.

Someone smarter than I just let me know that your TA really needs to be higher for aeration to do much. If you can find some baking soda, you can use it to get your TA up and that would probably help things a good deal.

257WbyMag said:
Someone smarter than I just let me know that your TA really needs to be higher for aeration to do much. If you can find some baking soda, you can use it to get your TA up and that would probably help things a good deal.
Is there any reason not to use both baking soda to raise TA and borax to raise pH?

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.