Polaris 280 Going in Circles

Feb 25, 2013
I read some troubleshooting guides, but I don't think this is an adjustment issue, I think it's something more dire.

It was working fine one day, then the next day, it's going in small circles, maybe 3' in dia., and it's unbalanced, listing to one side, only on one wheel. All of the wheels are turning fine, and I think the jets are working fine (rear jet and vacuum jets).

I looked in the strainer (where the hose quick release meets the wall), and it failed due to corrosion. The bottom of the strainer disconnected from the sides, and it could have passed debris on to the Polaris. Not sure about this though, it could be something else.

Should I attempt to disassemble and clean?

As a side note, the wheel bearings are shot on this thing, but it's been that way for the past year or so, I do need to replace them (seem expensive for what they are), but I don't believe that this is the cause. I need a new tensioner wheel as well, it seems very worn.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Yes change the bearings, and also check the teeth on the wheels. It sounds like they're worn down. You can also try adjusting the thrust-jet straight back to see if it helps.

The idle wheel looks worn, even when new. It's very rare I ever change those. Usually the swing-axel kit and the bearings if needed.

I bit the bullet, and bought a tune up kit. New wheels, tires, idler wheel and spring stuff, wheel bearings/screws, and the impeller and impeller bearings. If they aren't worn out now, they're close, this sweeper is pretty worn out.

I also bought a UWF assy because ours is worn pretty badly, and the strainer screen was broken. I got the old UWF threaded part out of the pool wall, but I was wondering, how do you install the new UWF threaded fittiing? Just thread it on, and turn it tightly by gripping the pressure regulator thing? Should I use any sort of threadlock?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.