Another variable speed pump setup thread

Feb 25, 2013
Hello,

I replaced my filter pump this weekend with a Pentair IntelliFLO VS pump. The pump install went pretty easy, but I have a question on the wiring. I have a salt water pool with a Goldline controller. After reading through the pump manual, I decided the wire the pump directly to the breaker so the pump would have power at all times not through the Goldline "Filter" relay.

I programmed the timer built into the pump to come on at 7am and off at 7pm (Run Speed 2 @ 1,500 rpm). I still have the Goldline turning on the filter pump relay (nothing connected) at 7:30 am and off at 6:30 pm to activate the cell and to allow the booster pump to run later in the day (booster pump is for the vacuum).

The setup works fine, but it removes some of the safeties built into the Goldline controller. The Goldline normally requires the main pump to run the cell, to start the booster pump, to start the heater, etc. It also shuts down the pumps when switching the motorized valves from "Pool" mode to "Spa" mode, etc.

I then thought of another way to wire the pump, but I wanted to ask before I did it. What if I programmed the timer built into the pump to run 24/7 at speed 2 (1,500 rpm). Then I could connect the pump back to the Goldline filter relay and re-gain some of the safety features above. The Goldline could supply power to the pump from 7am - 7pm, the program set in the pump would kick in and run the pump at 1,500 rpm. Would this work? Would the pump remember the program settings without power for 12 hours? I tried with a the breaker and it seemed to work fine. It tripped the breaker and the pump lost power. I reset the breaker and pump started right back up and resumed the program.

If the option above will work, I only need to manually speed up the pump if running the heater.

Thanks again,

Phillip

Yes, you can have the Goldline system power the pump and it will remember it's previous speed and startup when power is applied.

Another option is to use a current switched relay to enable/disable power the SWG, so it is on only when the pump is drawing power (i.e. running).

Is running through the Goldline a better option? To me, it seems like it would be.
The features that I loose by the pump not having power all the time, like freeze protection, will be handled by the Goldline.

Thanks.

Phillip

phillipl said:
Is running through the Goldline a better option? To me, it seems like it would be.
The features that I loose by the pump not having power all the time, like freeze protection, will be handled by the Goldline.
Flip the question around: Why did you bypass the Goldline in the first place?

Initially, I thought the variable speed pump would be happier with power 24/7 since it has a clock, timer, and controller. I was not sure if would remember the speeds and times if the power was removed.

Both approaches will work. With the Goldline system controlling the pump you really only get one speed. It can be any speed you want, but only one (plus manual over-ride any time). With the Pump controlling the SWG through a current sensing relay, you have the option of using the pumps timer to program more complex schedules using multiple speeds. Unless you have some specific reason to need more than one speed, I would go with the Goldline as master. However, if you have a pressure/suction cleaner that requires a higher pump speed to clean correctly, or something similar, there are advantages to making the pump be the master.

The Intelliflo will work with the Goldline system but I dont think it will work as you think. When an Intelliflo is paired with a Pentair system there is a communication cable the must be wired up to bypass the pump control. I think what will happen is the pump will only run every other day because it will lose its place so to speak. I may be wrong in my thinking but I am trying to remember from past experince.

swimcmp, if you set it up correctly the IntelliFlo will return the the most recent speed each time you power it up. You can't use the timer in the pump at the same time that you are using an external timer to power it on and off, but if all you need is a single speed then it works just fine.

Jason wouldn't setting the Goldline timer to turn on at i.e.say 12am and off at 12 pm and then adjust the speeds on the control panel of the pump (thats a 018 pump)? If just using 1 relay in the Goldline panel and running the power straight to the pump. Allot more dangerous, meaning the timers better be synced together so that SWG would never be on when the pumps off. This would cut out sensing relays and if it's an older Goldline panel with no room for additional relays? But you wouldn't have freeze protection either?

maxepr1, I'm not completely sure I follow your question. There are three possible setups: pump master, Goldline master, or each on it's own and keep the clocks in sync. If there is no need for more than one speed using the Goldline system as the main controller is by far the simplest approach, and reasonably safe. Trying to run the pump on it's own timer and the SWG on a separate timer risks the clocks getting out of sync and the SWG being on when the pump is off. And the only way to use the pump as the master controller requires extra equipment, the current sensing relay mentioned above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for the confusion Jason I meant each on it own. Older Goldline/Aqualogic systems cant control VS pumps on there own. Software isn't up to date with VS programing, the way I understand it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.