LED landscape lighting project!

So not to re-open an old(er) thread, but - it's been a few months - how are things holding up? It's looking like I'll be going down the same route you did.

Also - have any links to the T3 G4 bulbs you used (Or would have used for the shorter ones?)

I just typed in G4 led bulb on eBay and got quite a few listings. The eBay seller I purchased from multiple SMD combinations, which in English is the quantity of LED's. The less the amount of SMD's the shorter the bulb. I used 68 SMD bulbs which are the brightest, but are also the longest.

In order to get mine to fit,I had to cut down the pin length and remove the black plastic insulator (spacer between pins). I also could not seat the bulb diffuser all the way, but it still worked out. So far I have not had any issues with the use of the LEDs. Although, I would purchase a couple extra g4's in case you damage one during installation.

OK, so. . . I'm doing very similar to what you have here. Similar Paradise light, same transformer. Was doing research on the transformers and kept coming back to that one. Found a 200W on Walmart, shipped free, good price. Done.

I really wasn't thinking AC and DC at the time. Most of the G4 LEDs I'm seeing on EBay are DC. This transformer is AC. So did you find AC LEDs, or. . .?

I'm thinking this is the flicker you're seeing at 12 inches.

TroubleFreePat said:
OK, so. . . I'm doing very similar to what you have here. Similar Paradise light, same transformer. Was doing research on the transformers and kept coming back to that one. Found a 200W on Walmart, shipped free, good price. Done.

I really wasn't thinking AC and DC at the time. Most of the G4 LEDs I'm seeing on EBay are DC. This transformer is AC. So did you find AC LEDs, or. . .?

I'm thinking this is the flicker you're seeing at 12 inches.

Alternating current is 120V AC. Low voltage direct current is 12V DC. The transformer, transforms the AC higher voltage to DC low voltage. That is why you need the transformer in the first place. You need the DC low voltage LED's that you are seeing on EBAY. The micro flicker which I don't really notice anymore is cause by the lower quality chinese LED drivers.

Not in this case with this transformer. This transformer is only bringing 120 VAC down to 12 VAC. I put a meter on it and it's outputting 12 VAC, not DC.

LEDs will work on AC, but you will get a flicker (Noticable or not) as the voltage passes the wrong direction over the diode, and it will also (potentially) cut down on the LEDs life.

TroubleFreePat said:
Not in this case with this transformer. This transformer is only bringing 120 VAC down to 12 VAC. I put a meter on it and it's outputting 12 VAC, not DC.

LEDs will work on AC, but you will get a flicker (Noticable or not) as the voltage passes the wrong direction over the diode, and it will also (potentially) cut down on the LEDs life.

Now I see what you mean... I just assumed that the transformer I purchased was converting to DC... since it never actually stated whether the output voltage was AC or DC.

As far as life expectancy of the LED's and the flicker... For $2.99 each... I'm okay with it for now, because even with reduced life, it still blow away the life span of the incandescent bulbs.

I did do a search for G4 base LED landscape on Ebay and I found a few bulbs that say they are 12V AC and they note that they will not flicker. They are about $7.95 each, but they should last longer than the fixtures.

Good luck with your project... right now I'm only turning on the lights about once or twice a week when we get in the spa or hang out in the backyard at night. With my kind of use, I maybe never have to replace the bulbs.

R_Willis said:
Once i get my pool project going, I hope to use some of their stuff:
http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/l ... g-s/80.htm

I was just looking at their LEDs - they REQUIRE AC; says using DC will damage them. Very interesting.

Either way, I'm also in the same camp as Killer95Stang. Some of the G4 LEDs I've seen on EBay are $1 each! I'll happy replace them each year for $1.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.