Arlington, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So, I need to replace my multiport valve. It is a Hayward 'VARI-FLO' Model Number SP71. My DE Filter is a Nautilus 48 sq ft, it is old and I cannot read the model number. I think it is an 'FNS' style???

The reason I have to replace the valve is that a piece of male threaded PVC pipe broke off inside it. I tried to remove it... But I determined that it was GLUED in! Anyway, now it has to be replaced.

I went to Leslie's and they recommended the Pentair 261142. I had my valve and plumbing with me at the store and it will definitely fit with my DE Filter connections. I want to make sure it is the correct valve for my setup. Firstly, this valve is for 2 inch plumbing but my old valve was for 1.5 inch plumbing. He said I can just use reducers (adapters) to install it.

My filter pump is a Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-24. The old multiport valve would make a lot of noise when I ran the Pentair filter pump on Hi Speed. I assume I was exceeding its flow rating.

Here is a picture of the old valve installed (except the plumbing from the filter pump to the valve is broken off).

IMAG0110.jpg

Here is my setup now with the old valve removed. (Note that my Polaris booster pump has been removed - I am in the process of replacing it.)

IMAG0118.jpg

The concrete pad that all of this equipment is sitting on has just about had it. It is crumbling in multiple places. I figure while I have it all ripped apart I might as well replace it. Has anyone just used pavers from home depot?

I think that your current multiport is a Hayward model SP0710XALL, which is a universal multiport, which can be plumbed to fit multiple types of filter. It is OK to use, but not the one originally designed for that filter.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/In-Grou ... 0188_I.htm

The Pentair 261142 is a kit with a multiport and bulkhead fittings. If your bulkhead fittings are good, then you want part number 261152 (2 in. MPV, for FNS, FNS Plus & NSP filters [SM 20-2], 7.5 in. Centerline), or part number 261177 (1-1/2 in. MPV, for FNS, FNS Plus & NSP filters [SM 10-2], 7.5 in. Centerline). The bulkhead fittings are the pieces that go through the filter. They should be spaced apart by 7.5 inches. The 2 inch valve should be quieter, but you can use the 1.5 inch or the 2 inch valve. You can use reducers to go from 2 inch to 1.5 inch.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/p ... rs-131.htm

Thanks James!

So the bulkhead fittings are the pieces that are attached to my stainless steel DE Filter in my picture above, right? Mine are fine, so I think I need the 261152 or 261177. There seems to be about a $40 price difference on Amazon. I run my pump on low speed most of the time, so if I get the 1.5 " valve and it is only loud when I run the pump on high speed, then that is fine. I also think the install of the 1.5" valve will be simpler (no reducers should simplify things by giving me more room to work with).

I removed all of pool equipment from the pad today, and ripped out that old crumbling concrete slab (the pad in the pictures above). I replaced the pad with some 12" x 12" concrete pavers I bought from Home Depot today.

IMAG0128.jpg

There is a stainless steal 'DE trap contraption' you can barely see in my first picture from my my first post in this thread. I think it's supposed to catch the DE when you backwash the filter, however I've never used it at all (the water and DE just passes through it. I am planning to not re-install that 'DE trap' and its associated plumbing (and the valve with the red handle). I will just plumb the discharge / waste directly to the collapsible hose. Other than that I plan to install the new multiport valve and DE filter the same way it was before.

Based on my pictures, is there any advise you (or anyone else :) ) can give me regarding layout / installation of all of the components? You can see the Polaris 'tee' fitting was on the horizontal of the pool return line. Is it better to have this Polaris tee fitting on the vertical return line (going into the ground)? Any other tips?

IMAG0129.jpg

From front to back: pool skimmers 2 ", pool drain 1.5", polaris, pool returns 1.5"

There is a 'tee' off of the vertical pool return 1.5" pipe which used to go to the red valve and 'DE trap'. Should I use an adapter to connect my Polaris to this 'tee'?

Thanks,
Robert

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.