Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noisy Pool Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Noisy Pool Pump

My pool pump is making a very noisy "wah wah" sound, as captured in this video:

Any ideas on this? It's not the typical hi-pitched worn bearing noise I've heard on other pumps. I'm also having trouble getting all the air out of the pump basket. Could that be related? Most of the air is out, but not all. I've tried running the water hose on the suction side piping and basket to see if I have any leaks but no change. I'm going to get some foam shaving cream and try that to rule out leaks. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts. Thanks!
    If you are needing any pool builders in phoenix, these guys have great prices, and does a fantastic job!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Noisy Pool Pump

Welcome to tfp, ileventh

It does not sound like a bearing to me either.

How is your flow and are you getting air bubbles coming out of the returns?

It sure looks like you have a suction side issue. Is your skimmer sucking air? If not, then I would guess you have a suction side leak. Check for leaks at the leaf basket o-ring and the drain plugs first.

See this pool school article:

Once you fix the issue that is causes air in your pump, I would guess the sound will diminish.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Noisy Pool Pump

It seems to me you are getting very little suction. I believe it is either A) a busted or clogged impeller (leading to? something to make that noise)....or B) worn shoulder bearings
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter