What to do to prepare for SWG install?

Technigogo

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
I just bought an AutoPilot Digital with the SC60 cell from Josh at saltpoolguys.com. If you are in the market for SWG then call them or PM JoshU first and you won't need to waste your time looking any further.

My new system will be here on Tuesday. I will install on Wednesday. What do I need to buy and do before the install?

I know I will need salt. How much salt will I need? I assume that I just buy the water softener salt from Home Depot/Lowes, right? Anything special to know about salt selection?

My current pool readings are:

FC: 11 (I'm just finishing up shocking the swamp:( )
PH: 7.2
TA: 90
Borates: 60
CYA: 25 (I'm currently adding this with the sock method but where do I stop?)

The water is (finally) crystal clear.

What adjustments do I need to make before the SWG?

Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

You will need enough salt to raise the level by between 2000 and 3000 ppm. I'd go ahead and get the full 3000 ppm worth, though you likely won't actually need all of that right now. You will use it eventually, though it might be till next spring. Wait for the SWG to have 24 hours to settle in and then look at how much salt it says to add (making sure you setup the pool size correctly). The starting salt level is likely to be well above zero. Letting the SWG figure it out allows you take that into account.

Your target with CYA is 80, but don't raise it up that high all at once. Move along in steps of 30 or so ppm at a time and sneak up on your target level. If you go too high it is difficult to lower, while if you undershoot you can always add more.

Jason,

My local Costco has the Diamond Crystal Bright & Soft for $4.99. Is this a good salt to use? Is this a good price?

Here is the product page: http://www.diamondcrystalsalt.com/Water-Softening/Products/Products.aspx

salt.jpg

Sean, is this salt okay? Here is what the Diamond Crystal website said about the product:

Highest-Purity: Up to 99.8% pure salt
Advanced Performance formula—for softener efficiency
Virtually 100% water soluble
Patented double handles—for easy lifting

It's the "Advanced Performance formula" that's got me worried.

Please advise

As Jason eluded to, you are not likely starting at 0ppm of salt so do not add all 3000 ppm at once.

Also, we usually recommend the Solar Salt as there are no additives. The Bright & Soft says it is an "advanced performance formula" ... to me that means there is some kind of additive that may not be good in the pool.

Lowes / Home Depot have solar salt for less than that ... generally look for blue bags, but verify that there are no additives.

Okay, thanks. I did see the blue bags at My Lowes. The price is the same at $1 per 10 lbs. (It's $3.99 but it's only a 40 lb bag) The salt purity is higher on the Bright & Soft but, as you said, I don't know what the "formula" is.

I received my new Digital Pool from Brown today.

I need some advice on where to install the manifold. If you will look at the picture below you can see the return pipe for the install. I have two choices. I can put it either side of the pipe going from the pump to the filter. My first thought is to remove the chlorinator and put it there but then do I still leave the check-valve upstream of the SWG? ...or do I need to remove that? If I need to remove it, then I will put it back where the check-valve is now.

swgbefore2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suggest you review the manual that came with your SWG ... I am not sure what that one looks like and what its installation requirements are as far as minimum pipe lengths before/after.

I will say that it should be the last thing before returning to the pool and definitely should NOT be put before the filter unless you desire a built-up of explosive gas in your filter :shock:

The cell should go down stream of the heater. Put it between the check valve, and the puck feeder. (You can) Remove the puck feeder, but keep the check valve.

If you need more room because of the cross piping, cut the vertical pipes with enough room below the 90's for couplings, and raise the plumbing up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.