Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do to prepare for SWG install?

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do to prepare for SWG install?

I just bought an AutoPilot Digital with the SC60 cell from Josh at saltpoolguys.com. If you are in the market for SWG then call them or PM JoshU first and you won't need to waste your time looking any further.

My new system will be here on Tuesday. I will install on Wednesday. What do I need to buy and do before the install?

I know I will need salt. How much salt will I need? I assume that I just buy the water softener salt from Home Depot/Lowes, right? Anything special to know about salt selection?

My current pool readings are:

FC: 11 (I'm just finishing up shocking the swamp )
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 90
    Borates: 60
    CYA: 25 (I'm currently adding this with the sock method but where do I stop?)

The water is (finally) crystal clear.

What adjustments do I need to make before the SWG?
    30K IG, Plaster with spillover spa, 9 ft deep end with spring base diving board
    48sqft DE Filter, 3HP VS motor, Hayward SPII, Raypak RP2100 Propane heater
    AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital with SC-60 and pump relay (220v)
    Polaris 280. Pentiar Booster Pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Speed Stir
    Austin, Texas (It's hot)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to do to prepare for SWG install?

Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

You will need enough salt to raise the level by between 2000 and 3000 ppm. I'd go ahead and get the full 3000 ppm worth, though you likely won't actually need all of that right now. You will use it eventually, though it might be till next spring. Wait for the SWG to have 24 hours to settle in and then look at how much salt it says to add (making sure you setup the pool size correctly). The starting salt level is likely to be well above zero. Letting the SWG figure it out allows you take that into account.

Your target with CYA is 80, but don't raise it up that high all at once. Move along in steps of 30 or so ppm at a time and sneak up on your target level. If you go too high it is difficult to lower, while if you undershoot you can always add more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason,

My local Costco has the Diamond Crystal Bright & Soft for $4.99. Is this a good salt to use? Is this a good price?

Here is the product page: http://www.diamondcrystalsalt.com/Wa.../Products.aspx

Austin, Texas (It's hot)

4. Back To Top    #4

According to the Pool Calculator, I need 731 lbs of salt to get to 3000. Whoa! I'll probably have to make two trips for that!
    Austin, Texas (It's hot)

5. Back To Top    #5

minor correction, but with 30K gallons, you need 750 lbs. It won't hurt the Pool Pilot if you add a little more, but 750 works out to 15 x 50 lb bags.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Sean, is this salt okay? Here is what the Diamond Crystal website said about the product:

Highest-Purity: Up to 99.8% pure salt
    Advanced Performance formula—for softener efficiency
    Virtually 100% water soluble
    Patented double handles—for easy lifting
    It's the "Advanced Performance formula" that's got me worried.

Please advise
    Austin, Texas (It's hot)

7. Back To Top    #7

As Jason eluded to, you are not likely starting at 0ppm of salt so do not add all 3000 ppm at once.

Also, we usually recommend the Solar Salt as there are no additives. The Bright & Soft says it is an "advanced performance formula" ... to me that means there is some kind of additive that may not be good in the pool.

Lowes / Home Depot have solar salt for less than that ... generally look for blue bags, but verify that there are no additives.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay, thanks. I did see the blue bags at My Lowes. The price is the same at $1 per 10 lbs. (It's $3.99 but it's only a 40 lb bag) The salt purity is higher on the Bright & Soft but, as you said, I don't know what the "formula" is.
    Austin, Texas (It's hot)

9. Back To Top    #9

Still cheaper than the "pool salt" which is usually $7+ ... and all it is is the solar salt sent through a grinder to make it smaller.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I received my new Digital Pool from Brown today.

I need some advice on where to install the manifold. If you will look at the picture below you can see the return pipe for the install. I have two choices. I can put it either side of the pipe going from the pump to the filter. My first thought is to remove the chlorinator and put it there but then do I still leave the check-valve upstream of the SWG? ...or do I need to remove that? If I need to remove it, then I will put it back where the check-valve is now.

Austin, Texas (It's hot)

11. Back To Top    #11

I suggest you review the manual that came with your SWG ... I am not sure what that one looks like and what its installation requirements are as far as minimum pipe lengths before/after.

I will say that it should be the last thing before returning to the pool and definitely should NOT be put before the filter unless you desire a built-up of explosive gas in your filter
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

The cell should go down stream of the heater. Put it between the check valve, and the puck feeder. (You can) Remove the puck feeder, but keep the check valve.

If you need more room because of the cross piping, cut the vertical pipes with enough room below the 90's for couplings, and raise the plumbing up.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

13. Back To Top    #13

After all this, I had to go back and get 6 more bags!

Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!