Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electrical for new Autopilot

1. Back To Top    #1

Electrical for new Autopilot

I'm thinking of adding Autopilot SWG this spring. Current equipment (pump/heater) wired 220v to Intermatic T101R timer box. Relatively straight-forward deal. With respect to electrical, where would the Autopilot fit in to this scheme? The manual indicates provisions for wiring to external timer by connectiong to LOAD OUT terminals in timer box but won't this mean that when timer is in OFF condition the Autopilot will have no power to it as well? Don't I want the Autopilot to be 'always on'? Additionally, with pump AND heater already wired to the LOAD OUT of the timer box, is the addition of Autopilot as 3rd LOAD OUT component OK?

I'm just trying to grasp the concept, not that I'd actually do it myself w/ no assistance; I hate electricity.
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Electrical for new Autopilot

There are a number of different ways to install the AutoPilot unit.

You can simply wire the AutoPilot to the load out side of the timer, and continue using the timer as a timer. Attaching the AutoPilot as a third connection to the load out terminals is fine. Just be careful to make sure you make a solid connection (more difficult with more wires, but not all that bad).

Alternatively, if you are getting the AutoPilot Digital and also get the optional relay you can remove the timer and use the timer inside the AutoPilot unit as the timer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. So the Autopilot will essentially have no power when timer is in OFF cycle and will power up w/ previous settings when timer hits ON cycle and turns on pump/heater/Autopilot? This will also allow the heater to shut down 15 minutes before everything else via intermatic fireman switch, although the actual need to do that is apparently up for debate. Raypak heater manual states it should be so (cool down period) but I had a Minimax Plus heater run for 16 years with no cool down period. Timer turned off both pump and heater at same time.

So many questions, so many different answers
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

The Intermatic T101 is typically a 110 Volt time clock. Please verify. It's possible that the previous owner switched the timeclock mechanism to a 220 volt time clock.
    You will want to verify so you don't mix up the voltage and burn out anything.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

5. Back To Top    #5

I think it's a T101 case w/ T104 insides. Been around since the pool builder installed it with pool 16 years ago:

How it's wired up, just like the T104 diagram on Intermatic site:

My box:

Heater wires run out lower right side of box, pool pump out of bottom right, line in from panel (double pole breaker) from bottom left.

6. Back To Top    #6

As Jason said, wire the AutoPilot to the #2 and #4 terminals (LOADSIDE).

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to all...got it. And now also know my timer is not really a T101R...but the label is!

8. Back To Top    #8

just change the T101 to T104 and you'll be good to go. ha