Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not algae, but some kind of bug??

1. Back To Top    #1

Not algae, but some kind of bug??

I'm in the process of getting our "pond" back to a pool. I had noticed those dreaded backswimmers, but taking a real close look at the water, I found these guys. No idea what they are, but they're teeny tiny up to about this size here. Super gross looking and they twist and twirl around real quick like little weird worms. Almost looks like they could be some kind of evasive parasite you don't want to get into the water with! Any ideas what they are and if they'll die once I get the pool clean and clear and algae free again??

Julie
    ~27,000 gallon 18'x36' IG concrete pool built approx. 1969
    FNSP36 Pentair DE filter w/ 1hp pump
    coping, tile, plaster redone March 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not algae, but some kind of bug??

JulieS1007:

I'm no entomologist, but my hunch is that those "worms" may be the larval form of some insect. Proper chlorination almost always eliminates the problem of bugs in the water.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like good ole year round Texas mosquito larva. If you don't add chlorine they should come to the surface soon as pupa then emerge as your friendly coastal mosquito. Just get your FC up and they will be gone soon.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

4. Back To Top    #4

No, they're definitely not mosquito larvae. I can spot those guys easy. These are more reddish orange in color and more worm looking than mosquito larvae. If they were larvae of some other bug, would they vary so much in size? I saw several different sized ones.
    Julie

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok. Maybe midge larvae, they have an orange look. Just get your FC up and they should be gone.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I think Julie is right.....them critters ain't skeeters!

Like everyone else, I'll bet chlorine will do the trick.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you nuked that pool yet?
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

8. Back To Top    #8

Other than the color, they look like the web worms I get on my trees up here in Oklahoma about every other year. Do you have trees close by?

I haven't had an issue with them up here because it has been so dry, but as soon as we get some moisture I am sure they will come out again......I too would like to know......have you bumped the chlorine level up and/or vacuumed them up?

Bob E.

9. Back To Top    #9

Never figured out what they were, but after several days of keeping the chlorine at shock level they were gone! I guess they ended up dying and sinking to the bottom because I think I only saw maybe one floating dead one. I've since netted and vacuumed the floor and haven't seen any since! Thank goodness!
    Julie

10. Back To Top    #10

Something to think about... since I added borates, I have far less issues with bugs and such in the pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!