Aqualink RS4 Feeze Protection

I'm curious now... my freeze protection kicked in for the first time ever early Tuesday morning and seemed to work just fine. I was surfing here to find out if 38 was really a good temp for this (seemed high to me) but I see above that others are using it. In my case the only thing that has freeze enabled is my Filter pump (since I had not thought of turning it on for the waterfall).

I'm wondering 1. why mine works and others chatter and 2. if I should add the waterfall...

Given your location, why are you using freeze protection at all? As far as I can tell, low temps don't even get below 32F.

In researching the ppd's to change over my RS4 PDA to an iAqualink I stumbled upon this list that I thought might be useful to others who have older chips in their system as there is some references to Freeze Protect updates that may or may not effect them. I have a ppd right before they switch to a cpu style board and my freeze protect does not chatter the motor.

JANDY PPD REVISION CODES 

A Programmable Peripheral Device (PPD) with revision letter C to HH will operate with all PCBs with a 44 pin 
socket. 
A Revision I or II PPD will only operate with a PCB which has a 44 pin socket and is a Revision I PCB. 
A Revision J or newer PPD will only fit into a PCB with a 52 pin socket (second generation of PCB). 
1994-Rev. A = Alpha testing. 
1995-Rev. B = Beta testing. 
1996-Rev. C = First production AquaLink RS. 
1996-Rev. D = Allowed Cleaner JVA socket to be assigned to an auxiliary by turning on dip switch 7. 
1996-Rev. E = Programmed ON times not recognized after freeze protection activates. 
1996-Rev. F = RS 2/6 Sharing a heater support, light dimming on RS 4. 
1997 – Rev. G = First support for SpaLink RS, Cleaner JVA can be assigned without turning on dip 7. 
1997 – Rev. GG = Cancel button locks-up system. 
1997 – Rev. GGG = Correction to GG. 
1998 – Rev. H = First support f or LX / RS 485 connection, memory expansion to 128K of ROM, SpaLink reads 
pool temperature and OFF when the system is not on. 
1998 – Rev. HH = Corrects time calibration problem with Rev. H. 
1998 – Rev. HH 232 = Support for RS 232 Serial Adapter. 
2000 – Rev. I = First support for OneTouch, includes serial adapter support. Note Rev I will only operate in a Rev. 
I PCB. 
2000 – Rev. II = Corrects problem with auxiliaries assigned to freeze on OneTouch. 
2002 – Rev. J = Change to 52 PIN PPD and new socket on AquaLink RS PCB. 
2002 – Rev. JJ = Corrects problem with auxiliaries assigned to freeze on OneTouch. 
2003 – Rev. K = Support for FlowLink, items manually turned on will reactivate after going to Auto/Service/Time 
Out. 
2004 – Rev. L = Color Light Control, PC Docking, Laminar Light Pulse Control (LPC4), Chiller/Heat Pump 
operation, Run Time (circuits can be set to run manually f or 1 t o 10 minutes or for 10 minutes to 2 hours in 10 
minute increments). Will communicate directly with AquaPure Chlorine Generator only. 
2006 – Rev. M = Support for AquaPalm wireless remote, Change chlorine production from AquaPure. AquaPure 
(revision must be 11230A05 or newer). Assign OneTouch buttons to SpaLink RS buttons. 
2006 – Rev. MM = Corrects problem when entering into lights labels. 
2006 – Rev. MMM = Corrects problem associated with daylight savings which caused the AquaPalm to jump 
lines. Light dimming can be adjusted from AquaPalm. 

CPU REVISION CHANGES 

2007 – Rev. N = Complete change to PCB. The operating chip is no longer a PPD, it is now a CPU (Central 
Processing Unit) board. The AquaLink RS can be connected via the RS 485 line to a Jandy AE Heat Pump &/or a 
Jandy LXi Gas Heater. 
2008 – Rev O = Communication with Variable Speed pumps. 
2009 – Rev P = Communication with ChemLink, LM3, AutoClear Plus & DuoClear. 
2010 - Rev Q = first support for Touch Screen panel.

2012-  Rev R = internet control of Jandy Aqualink system via smartphone or web 

It also appears that Sunplay (http://www.sunplay.com/Zodiac-iAquaLink ... 900-rs.htm) has the best price that I found on an latest board (if you need to replace) that will allow the PDA to work and you would also get remote (or extra access with tablets as is my case with using smart phones/tablets/web browsers since my PDA is starting to show it's age). Apparently you would lose the ability to program times through the pda menus (need to program through the web access instead) but retain the ability to do on/off, heater adjust, etc on the pda.

I am by no means an expert on this, just sharing a little info that I found that might help others understand or make a better decision if they need to head down that road. GL

mas985 said:
Given your location, why are you using freeze protection at all? As far as I can tell, low temps don't even get below 32F.

For the OP, Dallas can get freezing.
If that was to me, yes when we get freezing weather in Orlando it makes the news - complete with maps of where it might freeze, at what time of night, and for how long. Rare, but... sub 32 can happen.

Per Gregvi's instructions, I added my pool light to the freeze protection so to have the pool pump and the pool light turn on when freeze protection kicks in. Tested it (placed air temp sensor in a cup of ice water) and it worked perfectly. Both the pool pump and pool light turned on at my preset freeze protection temp of 36 degrees and stayed on (no more rapid on and off every couple of seconds). When I took the air temp sensor out of the cup of ice water and watched the temp go above 36 degrees on my Aqualink RS4 display inside the house, they both turned off at the same time.

Now, I changed the 2nd device from the pool light to the spa air blower and overrode the Aqualink RS4 from the air blower on/off switch (turned it to "off" position) so it doesn't come on when freeze protection kicks in at 36 degrees (I'll turn it back on in the summer). Tested it again and it works perfectly. The pool pump starts and stays on and the air blower does not turn on even though the air blower light on the Aqualink RS4 indicates it is on. I'm a happy man. No more needing to babysit by turning the system to "Service" mode from the control panel at the pool equipment outside which could be quite frequent in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

As a note, when I turned off the pool light (and the air blower after I switched it) when the freeze protection kicked in, the Aqualink RS4 did say it will turn it back on in so many minutes. One time it was 1 min, another 11 min, another 13 min. There was no rhyme or reason. No sure why it does that but I'm not concerned.

Addition info. My Aqualink RS4 only has three AUXs so didn't have the option to use AUX5 like Gregvi. My AUX1 is the air blower, AUX 2 is the pool light, AUX 3 is the spa light.

does anyone know if the rs6 should be the same? i have the rs6 and am experiencing this same freeze protection issue -- i have a 2nd device assigned to freeze protection, but the pump still is firing on and off rapidly when freeze protection activates

does anyone know if the rs6 should be the same? i have the rs6 and am experiencing this same freeze protection issue -- i have a 2nd device assigned to freeze protection, but the pump still is firing on and off rapidly when freeze protection activates

I see you are trying to get help with this issue still after a long time. Perhaps it would be better to start your own thread for more answers. Please do that in future as opposed to bumping old threads.

Quote Originally Posted by mas985

Because you can't turn off Freeze Protection on the Aqualink

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.