buy in a few weeks help

jrr426

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 21, 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Ok i need some help on picking the pool and dealer so far this is what I'm looking at
http://www.thepoolfactory.com/heritage- ... -oval.html
or
http://www.nationaldiscountpoolsupplies ... -pool.html
or
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/abovegro ... ?pid=84948
PSW has no liner and at 3-500 makes a big diffrence

I have a intex salt generator now i would like to use cause i like the salt pools and that is why the national pool appeals to me... but after lots of reading here may just do bleach. don't want to waste money, but want it to be very nice... the nation pool with the alum sides and resin bottom track, resin top and bottom couplings... but would i get it and have holes in the alum sides or missing half the parts??? Any feed back on the pools, type of pools, and dealers I'm looking at would be great. Nationaldiscountpools i have heard nothing about makes me leary.. The other i have heard only good...

#2 filter and pumps i was looking at this
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S210T93S- ... filter+210

would it be better to get a 2 speed and buy a different/ bigger filter or would this one be just fine... is there a better priced brand with a better combo should i get a 1.5 pump and a 26" filter..... help

ComputerGuyInNOLA said:

i actualy have and they do look great for sure... I need an oval pool i am replacing a 15x30x48 and it sets into my deck, i plan on cutting the deck out just a bit to get a new 18x33x54 to fit...

linen thanks for the heads up on the pump filter. for some reason ihave a hard time finding dual speed pumps... i big can i go with the sand filter befor it is to big.

thanks jrr

jrr426 said:
linen thanks for the heads up on the pump filter. for some reason ihave a hard time finding dual speed pumps... i big can i go with the sand filter befor it is to big.
The only limit on sand filter size is the ability to properly backwash it. Generally, most manufacturers recommend 15 gpm/sq.ft of filter as a minimum flow rate for backwashing. For example that 1.5 hp dynamo pump (on high) can move about 48 gpm with pretty restrictive plumbing and move about 63 gpm with fairly unrestricted plumbing. Assuming restrictive plumbing (say 1.5 inch supply side size pipe that is not too long a run), that pump could backwash properly a filter that is 48/15= 3.2 sq ft. In reality if you have 2" supply size plumbing with a relatively short run from the pool to filter, when the valve is in backwash mode you probably are closer to the 63 gpm, which would mean you could backwash properly a 63/15= 4.2 sq. ft. sand filter. Reality will probably be somewhere in between, but bottom line is, unless you have really restrictive supply side plumbing, then you don't have to worry about being too big until your filter is larger than 3.2 sq.ft (24 inch)...and most likely with good plumbing up to 4.2 sq. ft (~ 28 inch).

In the end it will most likely be cheaper to buy a combo kit like the one mentioned above. However, if money is less of an issue, then I would buy the pump and filter separately. For example, I have the Hayward matrix 2-speed 1 hp pump right now, and it works great. However I am limping my 20" diameter sand filter along that I hope to replace when a good deal on Craigslist comes along. I am a looking for a minimum 24" filter to pair with my pump.

Just a note: I just noticed looking at pentair's site I noticed that the turnover capacity and the high speed amps for the 1.5 hp 2-speed dynamo are actually higher than the 1.5 hp 1-speed dynamo, which the backwash numbers I gave above were based on.

I also noticed that the Starite SRCF2022DO2160 appears to be same setup as the Pentair PNSD0060DO2260 (starite is owned by pentair now). Upon googling, I found it for $499 shipped: http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com/pen...l2sp3stdw6hksrcf2022do2160-srcf2022do2160.htm

Money is always an issue. I am really liking the dynamo 2 speed 1.5 hp... and i am really thinking about just getting the SD80 yes it is big but i think the pump can back flush it and i should not have to do it often.

Also, think I'M going to get this pool. Looks like a pretty good deal.
http://www.thepoolfactory.com/wizard/in ... /item/979/
Unibead or overlaping liner, i kinda like the boarder look.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I will try and get a picture of the pool currently this way i will have a before and after, will still be a few weeks till the buy but at least we can see the before and after.
As always, truly appreciate the help, input, opinions, research you all give... always always appreciated

Since I can't find a flow curve for the dynaflo 1.5 hp 2-speed...I looked at the flow curve for the 1.5 hp optiflo since the amperage is the same. If dynaflo curve is close to the optiflo, then it looks like that pump should be able supply the 15 gpm/sq. ft to backflush the SD80. Since you are thinking of buying separate you could also consider that optiflo (or the Hayward Matrix) 2-speed.

jrr426 said:
Also, think I'M going to get this pool. Looks like a pretty good deal.
http://www.thepoolfactory.com/wizard/in ... /item/979/
Unibead or overlaping liner, i kinda like the boarder look.
Any interest in a deep end?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would recommend going with the sp15922s (1hp 2-speed) it has plenty of flow rate for your pool/filter. Also, the 1.5 hp you showed will probably only give you slightly more flow rate then the 1 hp. You most likely will not get close to 91 gpm under normal conditions...more likely in the 50s.

jrr426 said:
can i have a deep end with an oval pool are there not straps across the bottom...
Some newer ovals do not have straps afaik, but the older strap models can also be modified to not have straps across the deep area (but requires some more modification/work).

Why are you replacing your old pool? Would converting it to a deep end remove the need to replace? Your current setup looks great to me! Cheapskate here :oops:

linen said:
Why are you replacing your old pool? Would converting it to a deep end remove the need to replace? Your current setup looks great to me! Cheapskate here :oops:

I wish, the liner is no good big holes. The pool walls are rusted thru at the bottome i would say 25% around and 1-3" up. the pump is froze up the the pump is cracked.. o let me count the ways.

I talked to my wife and I think we are gona stick with all the same depth, so we can play vollley ball. it will be easer when my daughter has friends over, wont have to watch as close. (10 years old). will the 1hp pump back flush the sd80 also looking at the 24" form hayward.

Ahh, that makes sense...not sure you will get any buyers on CL for it then. Maybe the deck.

As for the deep end, remember they are only little for a short time. Deep ends keep the pool interesting for longer. Also, children should never be left unsupervised regardless of depth.

jrr426 said:
will the 1hp pump back flush the sd80 also looking at the 24" form hayward.
Yes, either one.

Updated my signature I have ordered the pool and liner. I decided on the sharkline matrix 18x33x54 and a unibead liner. Pool supply world I love you! I will be buying my SD80 from them in another week or 2. Also decided on the hayward matrix 1hp 2 speed. If anyone has a good supplier for the gorilla pad at a good price would love to hear about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.