Chorinator Off No-Flow and Check System - Low Salt

Feb 21, 2013
I have a Salt Water Pool and Spa, Water Volume=15,500 Gallons, Plaster surface, I also have Aqualogic Controls PS-4 unit, I also have a Hayward Turbo Cell that was replaced last year. My problem started when I saw the 2 messages (Chorinator Off No-Flow and Check System - Low Salt) I removed Hayward Turbo Cell and cleaned as usual. Turbo Cell was clean with no deposits. I added a 50lb bag of Salt, later that night I noticed that Salt Level messages stayed the same (2500ppm). I took sample of water to local Leslie's Pool for testing as I was pretty sure the Salt level was above 2500 ppm.

Results from test were as follows: Salt=4100 ppm. I added 2 gallons of Liquid Chlorine, I also replaced Cartridge Filters, cleaned skimmer, and Basket in Single Speed Pump.

I have visually checked all wires and not problem exists.

Any suggestions, please?

The cell is reacting to the cold water but indicating you have low salt. It's also possible that the cell may be starting to (or has already) fail. The cold water temperature will not affect the low flow condition. That is based on the flow switch not detecting proper flow through the flow switch, or it may be damaged. Make sure you have good flow through the flow switch and cell. Check your pump and skimmer baskets. Check your filter pressure. Check any valves that may be diverting flow away from the flow switch and cell.
Insufficient flow through the cell can cause it to also show insufficient salt levels.

Sean,

Thank you for this information, but I have some questions.

1. This Cell is a Brand New Replacement that is over 1 year old. The original Cell lasted for 4 years.
2.What flow switch are you describing. There is what I believe a Flow Sensor that has a Metal Band, then there is another type of Sensor that is below one of the Actuators.
3. Pump Basket and Skimmer Basket are empty.
4. I assume when you mention Filter Pressure, I should check Round Dial on Top of Filter Lid?

Thanks in advance..

Even a new cell will react to the cold water conditions and falsely indicate a low salt condition.
The Flow switch will be the device that is connected to the power supply via a telephone looking cable. It is a gray bodied, about 1" diameter, device with a flat stainless steel blade with a round puck on the end of the blade (about 3/8" diameter), that's threaded into the pipe. If the sensor is attached to the pipe with a band clamp, that's probably a temperature sensor.
yes, the filter pressure, using the pressure gauge on top of the filter.

Additional information: I saw on other related posts in Troublefreepool.com that the Flow Switch might be the problem, and a way to test it by locating a piece of 4 conductor Plat Phone Cable. I actually found a Piece of Flat Phone Cable that only had 2 wires (1-Black and 1- Red). I stripped off ends of each cable and twisted them together, then I disconnected existing Flow Switch cable from Main Board, and connected my Test Cable. I also connected TurboCell connector to Main Board. Within minutes, the "Chlorinator Off No-Flow" message went away, and the only messages remain are as follows: "Chlorinator Off - Low Temperature", and "Check System - Low Salt". I have the following Temperature readings: Pool Temp: 57 Degrees F, Cell Temp Sensor: 58 Degrees F, Water Sensor: 57 Degrees F, Air Sensor: 57 Degrees F. I believe that the Flow Switch is bad, ans I don not get the "Chlorinator Off No-Flow' message any more, but I am am dealing with the "Chlorinator Off - Low Temperature", and "Check System - Low Salt" messages.

Any suggestions for next steps?, I plan to have the water checked tomorrow after work. The other thing it is no longer happening, is that Pumping of Water and Filter are no longer stopping after 15-20 minutes of operation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did check the infamous solder joint this past weekend, and it is intact without any discoloration.

Well it looks like the system need some time to stabilize. To my surprise at 10pm last night when my normal Daily filter process starts, all lights are gone, Water Temp is: 57 Degrees F, Sale Level is: 3600 ppm, and Diagnostic Screen Information is as Follows: -25.97V, -5.64A, 56 Degrees F, 4000 PPM. So I can only assume that the Flow Sensor is bad as it is being bypassed. I will order a new Flow Sensor today, and I am also getting my Water Checked today.

I appreciate the help I was given.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.